Canon 80D at Costco - $1499

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 80D at Costco - $1499

Looking for advice on the package that is available at Costco for $1499.

I am set on the 80 D as I have a few other lenses - just wondering if there is a better place to buy the body and glass seperately. It seems like the Canon prices are pretty much all the same unless you gamble on an international model bought locally.

Thoughts / Comments.

If you have lenses already, you would probably do better to just buy the body. Those kit lenses aren't anything to write home about.

Comment

Leaning that way as well!

Comment

Agree with Shane. For awhile the 7D mkII was being offered at $1,399 and for the 200 dollar difference I would advise going that direction but it's back to normal price although Adorama currently has it below 1400. Good luck with your purchase.

Comment

The only reason you should be set on the 80D is if you plan on doing a lot of video with the camera also. The lenses included in that kit are good choices for video if you don't already have any STM lens. The STM line of lens are the only ones that you won't hear the focus motor during the video. They also focus extremely fast, are accurate, and lightweight. I own both and they pair well with my small SL1 but in no way are they L glass. You can get a similar kit from B&H minus the bag(most kit bags are a joke anyways) for the same price and save the sales tax.

If you don't plan on doing a lot of video there are better camera choices. There are quite a few knowledgeable photographers on here that could better help you if they knew what your intended use will be(be specific) and what lens you currently have.

Comment

Thanks for the info - I will do some additional research. Buying mainly for photos with some video. Just trying to upgrade before a trip to Hawaii...

Comment

DSLR video is tough. Image quality is great. Interchangable lenses is great. The inability of the camera to track focus on moving objects automatically is a butt kicker. There are creative things you can do with DSLR video by manually controlling the focus, but for most people's video needs it just isn't workable.

If your main thing is video, get a really nice video camera. If your main thing is still image photography, get the really nice DSLR.

Comment

Working...
              X