No announcement yet.

Along the Limpopo river (Pafuri)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving into the Fever trees we had a black headed oriole come and have a look at us or did we look at him...

Little striped skink enjoying the afternoon sun despite the heat...

On one of the trails we found a tree where elephant rubbed againts with mud stuck to the tree easily 1,9m high. Intrestingly also found a tick stuck in the mud... :lol:

As we moved into the thicker stuff we could hear the Trumpeter Hornbills and walked into the direction. The next moment an owl flew from one tree to the next just in front of us and we stalked closer...

Wow, a big Verreaux's Eagle-owl sat in the open looking down at us...

I was again amazed at the amount of movement they have in their necks...

We stood there for probably 5 min admiring this big owl untill he decided to move to the next tree...

Comment

We were still standing at the same spot discussing the owl when a bird swooped into a tree right next to the tree where the Verreaux's Eagle-Owl just vacated...

Three steps forward and two to the left and WOW!!! :big_eyes:

There is a European Honey Buzzard!!!

A summer visitor from Europe!

I was all smiles how cool is that having seen two such magnificent birds basically standing in the same spot!!!

Comment

Walking futher into the thickets we found a nest that Jonhna suspects might have been a African Crown Eagle nest.

Comment

As the sun started moving towards the horizon the late afternoon sunlight started filtering through...

This is what I wanted to see, this is what I want wanted to experience!!!

Comment

A huge old sycamore in between the fever trees

And then so typical of an African sun set time has caught up with us was time to walk with some speed back to camp before its dark and we might walk into one of the hairy and scary creatures of the night...

But not before I got a last photo...

It was a warm afternoon but once we reached the forest and thickets one could feel the difference in temprature.

Another day in Africa and I was smiling....

Comment

Great pics and write ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The next morning we were ready to depart from camp early as our destination would be Lanner Gorge on the Levuvhu river thats the border between Kruger in the south and Makuleke in the north.

Lanner Gorge has been carved out by the Levuvhu river the last 2 million years and at some places the gorge is 150m deep give or take a few meters.

We just moved onto the Pafuri main road when Duncan stopped hearing a Stripped Kingfisher call.

While looking for the kingfisher we heard a different call and Duncan became excited.

The next moment not one but two Racket-tailed Roller flew overhead while calling... :big_eyes:

Then the other...

They are common birds moving north to Tanzania but in South Africa they are only find in the Makuleke concession with an estimated 10-20 breeding pairs...

Comment

As we moved south of the Pafuri main road I was again amazed at the verity of habitats between the Levuvhu and Limpopo rivers.

We stopped at a small leaved rock fig and I was lucky enough to get a photo of a plated lizzard as he dove for his rock crevice

Stopping at the parking stop at the Lanner Gorge there was a pungent smell and Duncan showed us a Giant Carrion Flower.

The smell is actually created to attract flies into believing its rotten meat and thereby getting the flies to pollinate the plants.

Trust me this is truely a non pleasant smelling flower so dont pick one for you loved one...

Comment

Great pics, amazing diversity

Comment

As we walked to the view point I was spoiled by the view

I walked to a rock ledge wanting to look down into the gorge and then my hart skipped a beat!!

There on the Southern side of the Levuvhu river were two African Wild Dogs... :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

The guides saw three wild dogs earlier the week that had them very excited as some has worked in the area for 5 years and has never seen Wild dogs.

Comment

The dogs were nervous of the water and they had good reason to be as the Levuvhu river is known for its high population of Nile Crocodiles.

About 75m upstream these two big crocs were in the water

I was looking for a Peregrine Falcon that was flying around the gorge and missed the male entering the water....

Swimming through the wides part of the river in the area

Then turned around looking at the female and waited for her...

Comment

Its an old bushveld law that you do not re cross a river where you have crossed earlier as a crocodile might have seen you cross and will lie and wait in ambush where you crossed.

Rangers in the Park who were allowed to have dogs also learned the dogs not to go swim in the rivers as they will get hit by a crocodile very quickly...

So it was with anticipation standing on the ledge watching the female wondering if a small bushveld tragedy is about to unfold...

Comment

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

We all were full smiles as she exited the water.

How amazing to see the interaction as they got together and greeted each other. One of the reasons that they are my favorite species.

As they moved away from the river north we now know there were 5 wild dogs in the area

Comment

Working...
                                X