Help me choose a lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me choose a lens

So I got Chels a Canon 70d for Christmas and a Sigma 17-55mm to go with it.

We have been using the camera more and more and she asked me if we could get a lens with a little more zoom. Chels felt unprepared to grab a shot of a cool bird or deer out to 30 or so yards.

Secondary to her wants, I'd like a lens to do some video during turkey hunts.

I've been eyeing the Sigma & Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 but I'm looking for some more suggestions.

Suggestions?

Also, where can one buy good used lenses?

Thanks

I've bought used off Craigslist and fredmiranda.com. I'm not at all afraid of used camera gear.
    A good jumping on point for a zoom is either the 70-200 f4L or the 70-200 f4L IS. Both nice lenses. I've not used the sigma or tampons in this range but own and have used those brands in other focal lengths. I think they're fine glass.

It goes without saying that you get what you pay for in most cases when buying something with glass in it. The holy grail for Canon is the 70-200 f2.8L IS. It's a couple grand though. Take a look at the two mentioned above.

Comment

Just get her this one so I'll quit looking at it

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
        I've bought used off Craigslist and fredmiranda.com. I'm not at all afraid of used camera gear.
        A good jumping on point for a zoom is either the 70-200 f4L or the 70-200 f4L IS. Both nice lenses. I've not used the sigma or tampons in this range but own and have used those brands in other focal lengths. I think they're fine glass.

It goes without saying that you get what you pay for in most cases when buying something with glass in it. The holy grail for Canon is the 70-200 f2.8L IS. It's a couple grand though. Take a look at the two mentioned above.

Thanks Casey

Keep in mind we are newbies, so what would we miss out on with the f/4 that the f/2.8 would give us?

That's the reason I was lookin at the 3rd party lenses so we could get the 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post
          Just get her this one so I'll quit looking at it

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=512960

Canon mount

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
            Thanks Casey

Keep in mind we are newbies, so what would we miss out on with the f/4 that the f/2.8 would give us?

That's the reason I was lookin at the 3rd party lenses so we could get the 2.8

I'll add that the Canon f4 is about same price as he other's f2.8

Comment

The 70-200 f4 is a great first telephoto lens. You can put a 2x converter on it and still get great images at 400 f8.

The realization that whatever you buy will almost never be "long enough" is something we all go through. I have a friend who just messaged me the other day and was disappointed that her 200mm lens wasn't giving her the results she wanted.

There is a reason not everyone photographs wildlife. Esp. back in the film days, it was prohibitively expensive for most amateurs. Nowdays with digital and crop body cameras, it's a lot more affordable. I can do with my $1K 150-600 Tamron lens what it used to take $15K worth of gear to do.

If you can get to a camera store and try a few telephoto lenses of different lengths, take a few photos of things that are about the distance you expect to get from whatever you want to photograph. Then see what they look like. That will give you an idea of what focal length you feel you need. After that, it just comes down to what you're willing to spend.

Good luck and enjoy learning!

Comment

We ended up getting the canon 70-200 f/4

Looking forward to using it this weekend!

Thanks for the help

Comment

Clay that lens is great and priced right. I had one when I first tackled digital photography. It produced.

Let us know how it works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    Clay that lens is great and priced right. I had one when I first tackled digital photography. It produced.

Let us know how it works for you.

Got to use it a little bit last night and today. Seems to be doin well so far

Comment

Nice pics Clay.

Comment

Working...
                      X