Which Canon Extender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Canon Extender?

I'm getting ready to buy a Canon extender for myself for Christmas. Will be used mostly for wildlife photography. For those in the know - Canon 1.4x III, or Canon 2x? Thanks.

What's your budget, what's your expected subject, and what lens are you putting it on?

Comment

Both are advertised in several spots for $450 +/-. That's what i expect to spend. Expect to / want to get up close, 15 yards or less, of deer, hogs, etc. I'm going on a personal challenge of basically primitive bowhunting with a nice camera. Trying to get great shots at 15 yards or less. Putting it on Canon EF300 1.4.
      Last edited by mikemorvan; 12-01-2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

If you're 15 yards from a deer, that 300/f4 is all you need unless you want just a head shot.

Here's what I'd suggest. If you have a 3-D deer target, take your camera out and take a few photos of it at different distances and see what you get. If you don't have one, get a piece of cardboard and cut one out, then walk around and shoot it with your lens. There's a good chance you'll find you don't need more than 300mm for a deer if you plan to get real close.

Having said that, the 1.4x on a 300 f4 is a great combination that will produce fantastic results. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I've used a 1.4 on a 300 and on a 70-200 f4 L and produced a lot of solid keepers with each.

From everything I've heard and read - a 2x on a 300 F4 is not so great. But that's just what I've heard and read. Also, an effective F8 aperture might not be enough for you in low light, esp. if you don't have IS.

Now, I'd probably never spend $450 on a TC unless I was trying to sell my images, but it's your money. The results I've seen from some of the 3rd party TC's are stunning. I think Kenko makes one that many folks rate close to or as high as the Canon, for about $150. I had one years ago, and I could not tell the difference between it and the Canon 1.4x I had (version 1) so I kept the Kenko and sold the Canon.

It may be worth a look.

If you're dead set on spending $450 on a TC, then get the Canon III version and don't look back.

John

Comment

The other reason to get the 1.4x instead of the 2x is that your body may not autofocus at F8. At F5.6, it won't be a problem.

Comment

1.4X and Kenko. Spend about half that $400 and never know the difference, in my opinion.

300mm f4L IS + Kenko 1.4x

Handsome Buck by Casey Morris, on Flickr

70-200 F2.8L IS + Kenko 1.4x

Lock Down by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the input men. Will do more research and make a decision. Thanks again.

Comment

Nice shots Casey - and excellent illustration of what the Kenko is capable of. That's about how I remember mine. With my Kenko on a 70-200 f4, I got some of the sharpest bird photos I've ever taken. I actually think that 1.4 made that lens better at 200 if you can believe that.

For reference, how far were you from that deer? I'm guessing about 50 yards?

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                  Nice shots Casey - and excellent illustration of what the Kenko is capable of. That's about how I remember mine. With my Kenko on a 70-200 f4, I got some of the sharpest bird photos I've ever taken. I actually think that 1.4 made that lens better at 200 if you can believe that.

For reference, how far were you from that deer? I'm guessing about 50 yards?
                  Probably a little over 50, but not much.

I have zero complaints with the Kenko. I picked it up used and got a good deal. Works to my liking.

Comment

Working...
                  X