• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Photography

I am new to photography. I think I have purchased the right equipment:

Canon 70D
    Canon 135mm f/2 Prime (L Glass)
    Canon 24-105 f/4 (L Glass)

I cannot afford the Canon 400mm f2.8 that I really want, but I do have a Tamrom 150-500MM F5-6.3 if I need to really get get more reach.

I think I have a good eye for creative shots...but I am not too happy with the clarity/focus...especially in low light conditions. It is sometimes vey disappointing to have a shot in your viewfinder/screen and it not turn out the way you thought it should.

I have purchased lightroom and started to play with it some. I have included a few shots that I took in Marble Falls the other day in a "practice" session.

So far...all my deer pics are not good!

Any tips for low light, long focal shots (300mm +) without really expensive glass?

Also any critiques on these...dont worry, I have thick skin!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HillCountryHoyt; 11-16-2014, 03:04 PM.

I'm no pro but those pics look great to me.

Comment

Post examples of your disappointing shots along with the EXIF data on them, and then we can probably help diagnose the problems better. Without seeing them though, I'd guess that your shutter speed was too slow with low light and f/5.6.

Comment

Low light deer are extremely tough. Try to ensure the sun is at your back, and use a monopod or even a tripod to reduce camera shake on longer shutter speeds.

Comment

I've got a lens for sale right that would be a good starter long lens

Comment

Those are amazing pics. I am new to photography and to TBH. My husband helped me sign up but I work so much I don't have a lot of time. My husband told me about this form on here and I wanted to check it out. This form looks amazing.

Comment

You don't need a better long lens. Let's just get that right out there. That Tamron you have (same one I have) has been adopted by a LOT of former L-glass shooters, which is why you see so many 100-400L and 400 5.6L Canon lenses for sale right now.

Long lenses require exceptional technique and are not forgiving at ALL. First suggestion I'd make is to set one of your custom function modes that you use for that long lens to Auto ISO. There is a very good chance your shutter speeds are too slow, even with the VR in that lens. By choosing Auto ISO, you'll maintain a reasonable shutter speed, even if you have to shoot at 1600 or 3200 ISO. Don't worry because that 70D has amazing high ISO performance.

Use a monopod or tripod under that Tamzooka whenever you can. If you're shooting from your car, get a bean bag that goes over the window to rest your lens on.

Most importantly, practice, practice, practice. Again, don't sell that Tamron short. There are a lot of folks who wished they had that lens who have incredible wildlife portfolios already.

Comment

Thanks to all for the praise and the good advise. I still struggle with buying the better lens...but I think I need to practice my technique more and get better and learning the camera. I think I have been setting the ISO higher than it needs to be in low light and not not getting the shutter speed and f/s open enough. I did some experiments with some low light stuff and Av mode and got some real clear shots. As some on here have suggested...the full body cameras are so sophisticated and advanced it takes time to understand all the settings. Anyway...something new to learn for this old dog. Excited to be a part of this group and learn from some of the best. I do have a tripod and a monopod. I also have purchased Lightroom for "post" editing. There is so much information online...just need to get used to "studying"and practicing more.

Again thanks a lot for the help and advice given.

Comment

Great pics

Comment

Working...
                  X