Sports/outdoor lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sports/outdoor lens

In the market for a 2.8 primarily for football at night and wildlife. Have used a friend's Canon 70-200 2.8 recently with great results but interested to hear opinions on other brands and also any opinions on the Canon 200 2.8 (I like the price). Any and all input appreciated, body is a Canon 70D.

Subscribed ...I also have a 70D.

Comment

You can't go wrong with the 70-200/2.8. I have one and it is THE lens for HS football as far as I'm concerned. I've never used the 200/2.8, but of course you only have one focal length with it, which is alright until you have a running back coming right at you and can't zoom out with it. I'm sure the 200 is a quality lens as well, as long as you are OK with all your shots at 200mm. Good luck to ya, and let us know what you end up with.

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
        You can't go wrong with the 70-200/2.8. I have one and it is THE lens for HS football as far as I'm concerned. I've never used the 200/2.8, but of course you only have one focal length with it, which is alright until you have a running back coming right at you and can't zoom out with it. I'm sure the 200 is a quality lens as well, as long as you are OK with all your shots at 200mm. Good luck to ya, and let us know what you end up with.
        Thanks for the info,appreciate it. Is your 70-200 a canon?

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
          Thanks for the info,appreciate it. Is your 70-200 a canon?
          Yes, I use it with the 60D.

Comment

Check out the Tamaron 70-200 2.8. I love mine for shooting high school football. Can't go wrong.

Comment

I have the Nikon 200/2.8 and love it. I never shot directly on the sidelines. From the stands it worked great.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Same camera as well - paired with cannon L 70-200 2.8. Fantastic combo for what you're doing - I pair mine also w/1.4 extender but have not used for nighttime shooting since you lose an f-stop. Lens is not cheap but you will never regret the purchase when you see the quality of the shots. Have not used the Tamaron but hear good things as well. Good luck!

Comment

Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS. The Holy Grail in the Canon lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                      Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS. The Holy Grail in the Canon lineup.
                      I'm starting to see that

Comment

Here is a shot (significantly cropped) with the 70-200 f2.8L IS and a Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter. It is at f5 1/1000 second ISO 200 our of my Canon 5D III. I have the first version of the 70-200 f2.8L IS. The second is even better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184_800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	24343267

Comment

QUOTE=Casey;9342183]Here is a shot (significantly cropped) with the 70-200 f2.8L IS and a Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter. It is at f5 1/1000 second ISO 200 our of my Canon 5D III. I have the first version of the 70-200 f2.8L IS. The second is even better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184_800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	24343267[/QUOTE]

Great pic!

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                            +1^

I use the 70-200mm f/2.8L Canon for football. It would be perfect if it were 70-400mm f/2.8, but if I had a fixed focal length lens at 200mm or longer then I'd need to have a 2nd camera body with a shorter focal length lens attached to it. Then I'd bang up all my gear every time I frantically dropped one rig to grab the other.

Comment

Working...
                            X