Time Lapse question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Lapse question

I saw a cicada climbing a post on the porch earlier. Having seen several time lapse series posted recently I decided I would try my hand at it.

Grabbed the manual for my T2i and started trying to figure out the how to make a time lapse shot. Having no luck with that I did an online search of how to and quickly realized I was not going to be getting any pics of that cicada emerging in a time lapse series without standing there and manually taking pics (not that bad but I had other things I needed to be doing).

So my question is what timer would be recommended for my Canon?
    Thought about iphone but pretty sure my camera does not have wifi capabilities

Also feel free to post up any other helpful advice or pointers that would help myself or other members wanting to try their hand at time lapse.

You can look for something called an intervalometer that works with your camera. That can be set to go off at preset intervals. That works great for things like stars, but isn't always the best thing for critters as they are more unpredictable. With a cicada you might have 30 minutes of little action, then boom, out he comes. One option would be to set short intervals and then you would simply have a lot of pictures to delete. I am currently looking at a couple different intervalometers on eBay for my Canon. It seems aftermarket ones run under $20.

Comment

I have looked and there are lots of choices.

Canon makes one but it is for the higher tier cameras and priced accordingly ($169)

If you pick one El Viejo let me know

Comment

I'm pretty sure mine will take a different one. I did a search on eBay for "intervalometer t2i" and one showed up for just under $25. My camera is the 60D and I think it would be different, but not for certain.

Comment

This one looks like it will work with either but I am not sure

T2i has a port like a headphone would connect to

Comment

Those 2 cameras would both use the RS 60E3 release, and yes it should work on both cameras. I'm not sure why this one didn't show up on my search. It should do the trick.

Comment

Here is the one I use. I'm convinced many of these come off the same assembly line and simply have a different company name put on them. The one I had for the Olympus cameras I use to shoot looked just like this but with a different plug. They work well.

Comment

GoPro can do it in very high resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                  Here is the one I use. I'm convinced many of these come off the same assembly line and simply have a different company name put on them. The one I had for the Olympus cameras I use to shoot looked just like this but with a different plug. They work well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                  I think you are right. They all look the same

Originally posted by Boomerang View Post
                  GoPro can do it in very high resolution.
                  Maybe one day I will have a GoPro, for now the intervoltameter is about 10% of the cost of the GoPro

Comment

Working...
                  X