Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter

Anyone use a Rokinon multi-coater circular polarizer filter? What are some thoughts and opinions on it?

Up

Comment

I use a circular polarizer but not that particular one.

Comment

i figured most everyone on here uses one at some point or another, I was curious about them because I got that one from ebay for about 6 bucks but I havent had a chance to use it and I also noticed some were alot more expensive and was curious if this one would be worthwhile being on the cheap end. I'm going to try and find some time to experiment with it being that ive never used one yet.

Comment

I believe Rokinon is a Japanese made filter (At least I think they used to be). If so, it should be decent quality. It's not as well known as others, but should serve you well for most shots.

Comment

Honestly, I wouldn't use a Rokinon polarizer. Not trying to be mean, but those are kinda crappy. There are much better choices out there for a reasonable price.

Comment

If it has glass in it, you get what you pay for.

Comment

I have owned but never used and currently don't. I really need to consider one and learn to use it.

Comment

$6 glass will suck

Comment

Shane, what would you consider the minimum quality filter you'd use? I'm going to say Hoya or the equivalent for me, for casual personal stuff. If I ever thought I was going to try and publish - nothing but B+W or equivalent.

Comment

Ill probably upgrade when I am able but for now this is what I have. Ill try it out soon I hope. If nothing else it can help protect my lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        $6 glass will suck
                        Can you be a little more specific. What will be the outcome of using less expensive glass... Maybe not 6 cheap, but not 60 either....

Comment

I have a Nikon circular Polarizer that I paid over $200 dollars for more than 15 years ago. Good glass costs money. However, that being said, in the digital world of SLR's and combined with post processing software like Lightroom or Photoshop, filters on the lens of the camera are becoming more and more obsolete.

I did some tests with filters and posted on here a number of years ago but to be completely honest with you, I am using fewer and fewer filters all the time. Today, most of my filters are there to protect the lens and that is about it. A lot of time I will take the filter completely off when shooting and put it back on when I am done.

The only filter I really ever use now is a circular polarizer and I only use it sparingly, like when I want to take the glare off of water as an example.

Comment

Taking the glare from water and having bluer skies were the two main reasons I bought one but at $200 (I know it would be way better quality glass) I doubt I would be able to afford one like that for quite awhile. As for post processing I am still learning that and im sure that alot of the photos I see and asume were shot with a filter were probably in fact processed but they sure look cool!

Comment

What lens are you putting this on? There are a lot of options between $6 and $200.

Comment

Working...
                              X