2008 USA Jr Olympics Volleyball Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 USA Jr Olympics Volleyball Championships

I recently shot all 9 days of this National tournament that was held at the Dallas Convention Center from June 26-July 5. It was extremely tiring as we shot 2-3 matches per hour and we had to shoot 150-200 shots per match. I shot over 10,000 shots over this tournament but it was a ton of fun and a great experience.

There were about 900 teams there and about 9500 players all crammed in with 48 courts inside the convention center so not only was it crowded but LOUD. Here are a few action shots from the tournament. Enjoy

Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm 1.4
    1/2500
    F/1.4
    ISO 800-1000

You've got game, Albert. Awesome job.

Lighting must have been pretty good to shoot at 1/2500?

Comment

very hot and good pics as well!!!!!!!

Comment

Man That Is Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooo Hot!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Comment

You get to shoot some cool stuff Albert.......Great shots as always.....

Comment

Originally posted by finatic View Post
            You've got game, Albert. Awesome job.

Lighting must have been pretty good to shoot at 1/2500?
            Thanx finatic. I appreciate it. Lighting was pretty good for an indoor venue, plus I wanted to put my 85mm 1.4 to the test so I shot it about 90% of the time. Shooting at f/1.4 allowed me to speed up the shutter to freeze the ball and action a little more.

I used my 70-200mm 2.8 for 2 days of this tournament and it was good enough but I wanted to kick up my shutter more so that's when I went to the 1.4. Thanx again.

Comment

Originally posted by maglite View Post
              Man That Is Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooo Hot!!!!!!!!! Thanks
              Easy there. These girls are 17 and younger. They may look older but it's the 'Jr' Olympics so they are teenagers.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                You get to shoot some cool stuff Albert.......Great shots as always.....
                Thanx bhtx, I've been fortunate to get hired to shoot some cool sports. But I've worked hard at it as well so it's beginning to pay off. Thanx again.

Comment

Very well done. How far away from the action were you? You achieved pretty good depth considering you were at 85mm and f1.4

Comment

Great action shots

Comment

I ran some calcs. I guess if you're 50 feet away with that setup, you'll get nearly 6' total depth of field. That would be plenty.

Again, nice work and thanks for embarassing....I mean sharing with us.

Comment

If you ever need someone to carry your bag.............................

(I'll try to recommend someone who is qualified)

Seriously, I would love to tag along and help (or just stay out of the way) whichever you needed.

Comment

That is cool! Do you work for newspaper or something with the sporting events and such?

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                            Very well done. How far away from the action were you? You achieved pretty good depth considering you were at 85mm and f1.4
                            Except for the 2 girls in the bright yellow shirts I was right next to the court. On the other 2 girls I was in the risers next to the court so I could get some shots with a downward angle so I used my 70-200mm 2.8 for those shots.
                            Glad you liked. Thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              If you ever need someone to carry your bag.............................

(I'll try to recommend someone who is qualified)

Seriously, I would love to tag along and help (or just stay out of the way) whichever you needed.
                              Thanx Rod. All the events I shoot are public events so you can go and shoot as well. If I'm at one I'd be happy to share anything I can with you, that's how I began too. Just hanging around, watching the photogs working and just seeing how they do things. Then it was just practicing after that.

I just got called tonight to work the World Series again this weekend in Flower Mound so I'll be there all day Sat and maybe on Sun. It pays pretty decent but I turn around and spend it on either bowhunting gear or camera gear. It's fun though. Thanx!

Comment

Working...
                              X