Canon pictures taken with EF 70-300 IS USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon pictures taken with EF 70-300 IS USM

If anyone happens to use the Canon EF 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS USM lens, would you mind posting up some pictures taken with that lens. I am wanting to compare quality of that lens that you took with what I have taken with that lens on my camera.

Please, I'm asking for unprocessed photos. I don't want to see your photoshop skills. Nothing with tint or contrast or sharpend or the like that has been changed. Cropped section of a photo would be OK. Not trying to offend, but I'm trying to find out how good this lens is supposed to be. I have this lens and right now I'm not too impressed with it. I dont want to compare it to a different lens.

Either that or its my ability with it and I just need to learn how to use it. But either way, my images taken from my Sony a100 with its kit 70-300mm lens seem crisper than this canon 70-300mm lens taken on my new 70D. I have been playing around with it for about almost two weeks and I can't seem to get pictures like that I thought I should expect.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not expecting L series results as I know to expect better from that quality, but my images really look blurry to me. It may be my focus or something on the camera or be just me, but if anyone can post pictures of some objects like flowers or animals from up to 100 yds away or so. Those type of things I would like to see and would help give me a better idea of what is going on and what I need to work on, or if I need to send this back.

If you dont want to post, feel free to send me something by email. cschramm@gvtc.com

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!

Could very well be a little off, have you tried to assess if it's front or back focusing?

If the 70d is within specs of say - 2 and the lens coincidentally is also within specs but also - 2, then your off by - 4.

Find a focus chart online and check.

Comment

I just called Canon yesterday about it and did pretty much this same test outside and sent the pictures in an email to them. They sent a response in less than an hour. It doesn't look like there is a problem from what they can tell.

So...guess its just me(user error). .

I was able to get some pictures of two doves on some brace fence post today. I just snapped a few in manual mode while sitting in my truck. They were maybe 50 yards from me. Also got a few of some ducks on one of our ponds yesterday. I will post them up later as well.

Comment

Post some of your pics along with the EXIF data to show the settings (ISO, f/stop, & shutter speed). We might be able to diagnose the problem that way.

Those kit lenses aren't the sharpest, but they're usually pretty decent - as long as you aren't getting blur from camera shake. Since the lens doesn't have a large aperture (no f/2.8, etc...), slower shutter speeds are required to get a good exposure with the smaller apertures (bigger f/stop numbers). Slower shutter = more camera shake. Longer focal length = more noticable camera shake. So if you're shooting something like ISO 100, f/8, and 1/100 sec at 300mm hand held, even with the IS turned on you might still have a little bit of blur from hand shake. IS helps some, but it's not a cure all for a slow lens - especially at long focal lengths.

Comment

Are you using a monopod Curtis?

I have 70-200 IS, and I have found that I get better overall photos when on the monopod.
          Last edited by TUCO; 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM. Reason: Didn't see IS....☺

Comment

Unfortunately, I have read that center sharpness suffers as the focal length increases (past 200mm), and especially if oriented vertically for some reason.

However it's sharpest as the aperture is stopped down.

Comment

Thanks for explaining that Shane. That makes sense. I really think a lot of it or maybe all of it, is just me and my technique and lack of knowledge and skills with the new gear. That will come in time.

Tuco, thanks but yes I do have a tripod. I just can't carry that with me in my truck all the time but I am thinking of buying a good monopod to use, or making one sometime.

Henry, thanks for the help with the test idea. I looked it up and tried that. Don't quite understand what all I'm looking at it or what to expect with it, but I sent it in to Canon and they did'n't seem to think something was wrong to mean to send it in. I also sent it to a local pro that I know here and he said it is more than likely my technique. I'm too shakey or dont know what I'm doing as well as I should. I can accept that. LOL!
              Last edited by Curtis32; 03-21-2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X