What type of Deer are these???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of Deer are these???

I went to Riudoso, NM at the end of September for some work, and took a lot of pictures. I got there on opening morning for bowhunting in Texas and I had these deer all around me. I kind of thought they were Mule deer but I thought mule deer have whiter faces and were bigger. Sorry about the quality of some pictures, but it was getting dark and I was zoomed in at about 300MM. So I had to enhance them but it made them grainier.

I was rebuilding a roof on a RV that was damaged by bad hail storm. On my last day there, I was on the roof and had a Elk spike run about 15 feet from me. He looked like he had been running for awhile. His tongue was hanging out & was breathing heavily.

Anyway, what kind of deer are these?
    Attached Files

Mule Deer...

Comment

^^^^
      I agree.

Comment

X2 Mule

Comment

Mule deer

Comment

Yep, Muley

Comment

Are they just very young? Are they just small?

Comment

Agree with all above.

Comment

yes, just young.

Comment

mule deer

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                      Mule Deer...
                      110 %

They do appear young. And by the way they are quite a bit bigger than WT... and DUMB!!! As evidenced by you taking pics of them and they just staring back at you.

I say that to tell you this. If you are driving and they are in the road You must swerve to miss a mule deer. Whitetail will move and you can usually aim at where they are and they wont be there. Muledeer dont move. If you dont wanna hit one you better miss it
                      Last edited by Coach W; 01-06-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Well, I wasn't bowhunting in Texas but I did see a lot of deer on opening morning. The lady who owns the trailer & property told me I could hunt there, but when I was looking into getting tags & license it just sounded a little complicated, plus I really didn't think I would see anything.

Comment

Notice the black tip in there tail and the big ears. Tail tail signs if a mule deer.
                          I hunt out in West Texas in rankin and we have a ton of them. There is getting to be a lot of cross bred too. Makes for a nice rack with the murky size and whitetail shape. But a lot of hunters don't like them.

Comment

muleys

Comment

Mule deer

Comment

Working...
                              X