Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigma 100-300 f/4 and 1.4 - disappointing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 100-300 f/4 and 1.4 - disappointing!

Well, the "truck" came today with my new-to-me lens and teleconverter.

I tried to exercise a -little- dicipline, and at least finish the chores I had started today before I broke it out to test it.

Contents were exactly what I had hope to see. Sigma EX 100-300 f/4 and a matching Sigma 1.4x EX DG teleconverter.

So I unpackaged the combo, and stepped into my back yard to test things out.

After just a few shots, I was not impressed at all. In fact, I'm very disappointed with this lens. My "kit" 55-250 IS lens is kicking it's butt, even wide open. Not sure if I just got a good copy of that kit lens, a poor copy of the Sigma, or both, but I think I know why this particular lens was available from KEH.

Here are some comparison photos for reference:

Target - a cedar bird house about 30 feet away (Sigma @ 300 f/4)
    Attached Files

Wide open, this lens is just soft. No other way to say it.

Here's the same shot at f/11. It was increasingly sharper to f/11, but not what I'd consider acceptable below that.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here it is at 250mm at f/4 and then f/5.6
      Attached Files

Comment

And now the killer - the $150 Canon kit lens (55-250 IS) WIDE OPEN at f/5.6 !

It got even better at f/8, but only slightly.

And get this - the Sigma was ON A TRIPOD and I used the 2 sec. delay to avoid camera shake, while the Canon kit lens was HAND HELD!

Pretty unbelievable to me.
        Attached Files

Comment

Just to make sure you know I was taking care to make a fair comparison, I had supervision. ha ha. This little guy was watching me the whole time.

(shots are with my 18-55 IS STM canon lens) First shot was 55mm at f/6.3 and second was 55mm at f/11. Distance was probably about 4 inches.
          Attached Files

Comment

A couple more "practical" shots...

One of my feeders shot with the 1.4x converter (420mm stopped down to f/11, on a tripod) and then without it (300 stopped down to f/5.6), and then the 55-250 IS hand held at f/8.
            Attached Files

Comment

Finally, a few crops for a better idea...

Top to bottom:

Sigma at 300 f/4
              Sigma at 300 f/8
              Sigma at 250 f/5.6

All on a tripod.

Canon at 250 f/5.6 - (again, hand held!) at 1/125 sec.

Looks like I'll keep saving for that 100-400L

I just can't afford to have to stop this lens down two stops AND keep it on a tripd to get good IQ.
              Attached Files

Comment

One thing is for sure, that 55-250 IS is a Killer lens for $150. Just amazing. It's tack sharp at 250mm when stopped down to f/8 and doesn't really lose much at 5.6!

Comment

I would send it back and let them work on it. I have heard of a lot of people having to send new Sigma lens in to be fixed. Usually they are happy with them when they get them back.
                  Lots of people talk trash about the 100-400L but I think it's a great lens myself not the best by a long shot but plenty good for what I do. I also think that you will see that you will be shooting hand held more than you think so IS is a must. But for now the Sigma can be fixed.
                  I also have the 55-250 and you are right it is a great lens for the money.

Sorry for you bad luck and I hope things work out for you.

Comment

If I had bought this new, I would send it to Sigma. But it's a used lens, and frankly, I'm not going to mess with it. I bought it from KEH because they have a very good return policy. I'm going to send it back and keep on savin'.

Just did a few more tests indoors at 100mm and the 55-250 still beats it at 5.6, which is nearly wide open for that lens, and one full stop down for the Sigma! By f/8, they are about equal, but as Keyshawn would say... C'mon man! That 55-250 costs 1/4 of what the Sigma cost!

Comment

Oh I didn't know you bought it used, glad you can return it.
                      You might want to join this site and check out the For Sale section people sell nice lens all the time over there. There is also a ton of good info on there.

Last edited by georgec; 11-16-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I've bought and sold several lenses on POTN.

Comment

Thanks Shane. Good to know.

Main reason I bought this from KEH was their return policy. Like B&H - basically for the price of shipping I can see if it's what I really want. That's pretty cheap insurance - esp for gear that may vary from copy to copy like these lenses.

So, the internal debate now is, 300/4 IS + 1.4 TC, 400/5.6 prime, or 100-400 ? I've read all the pros and cons. Leaning toward the 100-400 just for the versatility.

John

Comment

One good thing about POTN is that you are buying from a photographer. You can get sample pics from the exact lens you're looking at most of the time along with good pics of the lens itself. If a guy won't provide those, then move on to the next one. If he will, then it cuts down on the need to return a lens dramatically.

Comment

Working...
                              X