Just Sharing Some Soccer Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Sharing Some Soccer Pics

Got a few last weekend that I like. Thought I'd share. Still practicing but seeing improvement in my shots.

Quicker. by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Turn it! by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Good work, Casey! Talk to me about your set up and settings. What's working for you?

Dane is growing! I grew up with a guy named Dane. He ALWAYS stuck his tongue out like that when he was playing any sport. Must be a Dane thing.

Comment

I do the same thing with my tongue.

I went a different direction for this tournament. This was my first real outing with my 7D. My 70-200f2.8 L IS was the lens of choice. I did jpeg, spot metering and went back and forth between Tv and Av. I had it on high speed drive and just laid down on the shutter button occasionally. Going jpeg is out of my comfort zone but it wouldn't hurt for me to reduce my file count!

I didn't really like spot metering because I got too much variation in exposure depending on whether a blue jersey or white jersey caught the meter. I set it on manual a few times and got decent results.

Video was another story. It's very tough to get video of soccer with a DSLR.

Comment

I gave up on DSLR video. For sports or hunting, it's just way too much trouble for me. The manual focus deal is a killer for moving subjects. The Magic Lantern firmware hack makes it easier, but still not real auto-focus.

I've had similar problems with Av and Tv. When you are moving around on different spots on the field with varying light and different backgrounds, you never know what your gonna get for sure. I stick with Manual now and just adjust settings whenever the light changes. I have better luck with that.

Comment

Shane, have you ever seen this? I'm about to leap on it. I've heard great things about it. It sets up the micro adjustments on your lenses for you.

Comment

Not seeing anything

Comment

Reikan FoCal: The original and the best DSLR and mirrorless autofocus tuning and analysis software.

Comment

Great pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                  That looks pretty cool. I haven't seen that before. If you get it, be sure and let us know how it works.

Comment

Shane, tell me about Magic Lantern. I've read a tiny bit on it.

Comment

Nice shots Casey! For me, soccer is THE hardest sport to get good pics of. All the other sports are easy. Shooting soccer gives me a headache!

Comment

I love shooting soccer.

Watching my kid play is the tough part.

you're doing it wrong by legdog, on Flickr

Nice shots Casey. Man they grow fast.

Comment

Nice shots. And love the composition on Legdog's. Haha "yeah we all saw that"

Comment

The thing that drives me most crazy with soccer is the crap going on in the background. I rarely get a shot without a bunch of distractions in the frame. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                              The thing that drives me most crazy with soccer is the crap going on in the background. I rarely get a shot without a bunch of distractions in the frame. Just a pet peeve of mine.
                              I like chaos.

tightrope by legdog, on Flickr

In my opinion the always animated coach (in red jacket) and spectators only adds to the image.

I enjoy your Dane photos because the kid is so intense and you always manage to capture that.

Comment

Working...
                              X