No announcement yet.

lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first of all it depends on what I'm using it for. I find the right focal length and then I look for the size of the aperature. I almost exclusively use f2.8 or bigger but the price goes up quickly. If your using a larger focal length then IS is a good thing to have.

Comment

and don't be afraid to use other than Canon name brands. The Sigma and Tamron brands are good alternatives for much less.

Comment

Really depends on what you are tying to capture. I ran a professional photography studio for a few years and had quite a few lens....each for a different purpose. For outdoor photography, the Canon L series glass are unmatched in their sharpness and the ability to shoot in low light conditions. The IS is great but again, depends on the shot...IS really only helps at shutter speeds below 125 off the tripod...or at least thats when you will notice the difference IS provides....in most cases

The L series 2.8 IS 70/200 is a fantastic piece of glass....I used it for high school sporting events as well as headshots....very versatile...The L series 2.8 24/70 wide angle is another great piece of glass...BOTH of these are going to be pricey...but well worth it....

Comment

There seems to be a gazillion different lens to choose from. I think the first lens I'll get after I get the camera is a Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 IS II telephoto lens. Amazon has it used for $121 or refurbished for $131.

Comment

Originally posted by jrwest66 View Post
            There seems to be a gazillion different lens to choose from. I think the first lens I'll get after I get the camera is a Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 IS II telephoto lens. Amazon has it used for $121 or refurbished for $131.
            I would get the nifty fifty for a walk around lens for the same money.

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
              I would get the nifty fifty for a walk around lens for the same money.
              What's the nifty fifty? I assume a certain 50mm lens?

Comment

Jr, is the canon t3 a film camera?
                If so I don't think the ef lenses will work.

Then when you go digital the ones you get for the t3 won't work so you have to re invest.
                Go with a nice digital to start off with and work into the bigger lenses.
                Just my option. I gave away a 2000 dollar film camera
                Because no one develops film around here anymore

Jim Hunt

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
                  Jr, is the canon t3 a film camera?
                  If so I don't think the ef lenses will work.

Then when you go digital the ones you get for the t3 won't work so you have to re invest.
                  Go with a nice digital to start off with and work into the bigger lenses.
                  Just my option. I gave away a 2000 dollar film camera
                  Because no one develops film around here anymore

Jim Hunt
                  The canon T3 is digital,it is 12 mega pixels.

Comment

The nifty is a cheap (inexpensive) 50mm f1.8 lens.

Very, very good, low light lens for the money.

Definitely one to start off with.

Comment

Working...
                    X