Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Which Lense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Lense?

Going to be shooting outdoors mostly while in the stand or driving around the land. Which would be better: 75-300mm or 50mm f/1.8

I was thinking the 75-300mm for the zoom but dont know if it will be to bulky in a bow stand... Also will be using this for when we go to alaska in a couple of weeks!

At the range

Comment

You can't substitute length of the lens in my opinion for wildlife. I have an 80mm-400mm and I still find myself wishing for a longer lens.

Comment

If for wildlife the 70-300mm

Comment

Get the longest and highest quality lens with the largest aperture (lowest f/stop number) that you can afford. You need length as well as the light that a large aperture will give you for wildlife. I wish I could afford to get a 400mm f/2.8 lens. My little 70-200mm f/2.8 will have to do. You can crop a good photo from a shorter, yet higher quality lens. But a longer lens that isn't as sharp or fast is hard to work around.

Comment

Get the biggest you can afford. the bigger the objective lens diameter, the more light it let in, the better the picture quality, especially in the early mornings and late evenings when alot of wildlife is more active.

Comment

Here is a $350.00 way to get a 720mm...

Comment

Well I think the vote is clear... Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by txbassnaholic View Post
                  Get the biggest you can afford. the bigger the objective lens diameter, the more light it let in, the better the picture quality, especially in the early mornings and late evenings when alot of wildlife is more active.
                  This is more true with hunting optics, but not necessarily true with camera lenses. With a camera lens, you have to consider the aperture size. A lens that only opens up to f/5.6 lets in only 25% of the light that a lens that opens up to f/2.8 captures. There's just no substitute for large apertures on a camera lens, and you have to pay to get them (unfortunately).

Comment

Working...
                  X