Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Lightning - Would Welcome Critiques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning - Would Welcome Critiques

I've had my 60D for a couple of years. Until recently, I only shot family and wildlife. Did a little studying up before 4th of July for fireworks. That got me wanting do experiment a bit more.

Saturday night at the deer lease, a pretty good storm rolled through to the east of us. I grabbed the camera and hauled over to the windmill to see what I could snap. Tripod on top of my truck. Set on Bulb with remote, 10 ap. Used a flashlight to slightly light up the windmill.

The first two are photoshopped a bit. The third is untouched. Please share expertise to make a better shot (set up, settings, framing, etc) and a better touch up. If anyone cares to play with the original and see what they come up with, zip me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windmill Lightening 5911 A (sm).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	24909800

Name:	Windmill Lightening 5911 B (sm).jpg
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	24909801

Name:	IMG_5911 (sm).jpg
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	24909802

While I'm at it, I'll share a few cool cloud shots from the last few weeks. These two are untouched, other than resizing.

Name:	IMG_3650(sm).jpg
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	24909803

Name:	IMG_5872(sm).jpg
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	24909804

Pretty cool. I've seen some really neet photos w flashlights on windmills. You can use multiple flash lights w color filters over them. Red,blue yellow etc... That make a nice impact.
    I havent seen any w lightning and the windmill. It would have been cool if the lightning was closer to the windmill but you can't control that and I don't know if you would have hung around for that shot.
    I think yours turned out nice. I'm sure someone can give you more tech answers than me. Nice job though!

Comment

Last edited by cattlelackranch; 07-15-2012, 09:11 PM. Reason: Double post. Sorry

Comment

After seeing those, I was wishing I would have hauled over there with you.

VERY nice work!!! The color filtering (light painting) cattlelackranch talks about is cool to play with...and something to try next time.

Comment

Very cool!!!

Comment

Very nice pics!

Comment

Nice! I love taking lightning shots. I get my best ones around f-8 - f-10. Keep ISO below 200. Always set focus to infinity. Also the closer the lightning the better the colors are.

Here's one from a storm this spring.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1342414798127.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	24093769

Comment

Tex-Cattleman you and that 60D make a real good team there, don't really know what I could add that would make it any better. I've got the younger brother ie 30D headed my way, thanks for the exif information.

What lens are you using on the 60D here.

Comment

What lens are you using on the 60D here.
                  For these pictures, 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens.

I use the canon 70-200 2.8 IS for wildlife shooting.

In the last few weeks, I have been frustrated by not being able to get more panoramic shots. Please share recommendations on a reasonably priced wide angle.

Comment

Cool Pictures. Nice with the windmill

Comment

GREAT shots, Trey! I really like those. I don't know what you could do to make them any better.

For a wide angle lens, check out Tokina. They make a couple of nice ones. The 11-16mm f/2.8 and the 12-24mm f/4. I have the 12-24, and I think Casey and some others have the 11-16. I love the big, wide views it gives me.

Comment

Very nice photos.

Comment

I ain't no expert, but I like the photos

Comment

Shane that is one awesome shot... I have a Tokina AT-X, 35-70mm f/2.8 for my Minolta XE-7 35mm

Comment

Those turned out really nice Trey! The only way to make the lightning "appear" closer to the windmill would have been to back the truck up further away from the windmill, then zooming in directly in line with that storm. Would have taken a ton of luck to get the shot, but I think what you got turned out pretty cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X