Need some settings advice for fireworks shots tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some settings advice for fireworks shots tonight

Going to try and shoot some fireworks with the new D7000 tonight. I only have my 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 lens with me. What would you recommend for settings in manual mode or would shutter or aperture priority be better?

Tripod with a remote is the best approach. When you first see it go up, push the button. If you don't have a remote, you might try the 2 second timer. You're going to have to get good or lucky at anticipating timing without the remote. You can't handhold it and get good shots. 4-10 seconds gives you a good exposure. That lens should be fine, depending on how close you are.

As with most other shots, something in the foreground for interest helps. I like shooting over water when I can.

I think most of mine have been in manual. The ones below are typically f8, f9ish and 4-10 seconds as mentioned above.

The great thing is if you screw it up, you have more coming right behind it and you should be able to get something worthwhile by the end of the night. I think they're a blast to shoot and when you get a nice one, it's pretty rewarding.

Lake Houston Lights by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Fireworks by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Lake Houston Fireworks by Casey Morris, on Flickr

July 4, 2008 by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Comment

Dad gum Casey, those are some great shots.... I may have to hit the Lake and try to play this year...

Comment

great information, Casey!!!

Comment

Great shots Casey.

Comment

Well I didn't have my tripod with me so I had to do it freehand. Here are a few shots I was able to capture. Unfortunately they didn't shoot the fireworks over the water so that was a bummer.

Comment

Nice shots, Mike!

Comment

Those look great, Mike!

Comment

Working...
                X