Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

7 on 7 at Reliant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 on 7 at Reliant

tried to get some action shots.... any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!
    Attached Files

Very nice love 7 on 7

Comment

Here's a few.
      1. Shoot with the sun. The players faces won't be in the shadows. Move to the other sideline if you have to.

2. If you want pics of the receivers, try to shoot from slightly behind the line of scrimmage. That way you will get their faces in the shots rather than their backs.

3. For defensive shots, stay well behind the line. You'll get photos of the defense coming through the offensive line.

4. The big thing with any sport is anticipating what may happen on the next play and being in position and ready for the shot.

5. As far as camera settings, shoot aperture priority, with your lens wide open. Check to make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/1000th. If it's not, bump your ISO up until it is. Continuous focus, and shoot at the fastest frame rate that your camera allows. I use the same technique for shooting under the lights as well.

You have some good shots there. Keep shooting.
      Last edited by scotty; 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
        Here's a few.
        1. Shoot with the sun. The players faces won't be in the shadows. Move to the other sideline if you have to.

2. If you want pics of the receivers, try to shoot from slightly behind the line of scrimmage. That way you will get their faces in the shots rather than their backs.

3. For defensive shots, stay well behind the line. You'll get photos of the defense coming through the offensive line.

4. The big thing with any sport is anticipating what may happen on the next play and being in position and ready for the shot.

5. As far as camera settings, shoot aperture priority, with your lens wide open. Check to make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/1000th. If it's not, bump your ISO up until it is. Continuous focus, and shoot at the fastest frame rate that your camera allows. I use the same technique for shooting under the lights as well.

thanks for the info!!!

Comment

Not to horn toot, but if you want to see a little of my sports work, click the link below the pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jscottcasey/

Comment

awesome pics! what time of lens do you use?

Comment

Thanks!

For Football, Baseball, and Softball I use a 70-200 f2.8.
              For Basketball and Volleyball I use a 24-70 f2.8.

Comment

Here's a few.

I would also add in addition to Scotty's #5 above, shoot at F2.8 (I am assuming you have a 70-200 2.8 or something like it). With the compression of shooting at the upper end of the zoom scale, you are going to have plenty of depth of field for what you are shooting. Shooting at a wide open aperature, this will also help get your shutter speed up to at least 1/1000th of a second as Scotty recommends. Outdoors, you should easily be able to attain this using ISO400 and more than likely down to ISO200 depending on the degree of sun.
                Sports/Action is a lot of fun to shoot so have fun with it and burn up the shutter!

Comment

cool

Comment

cool. glad to see it's starting back up. i can remember back in 97-98 doing that every summer.

Comment

nice pics!

Comment

Thanks!

For Football, Baseball, and Softball I use a 70-200 f2.8.
                        For Basketball and Volleyball I use a 24-70 f2.8.
                        Scotty is that the Tameron 24-70mm? I'm looking ahead for when I get my camera upgrade... ie Canon EOS 1D Mrk III

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonwood View Post
                          Scotty is that the Tameron 24-70mm? I'm looking ahead for when I get my camera upgrade... ie Canon EOS 1D Mrk III
                          Negative. All my lenses are Nikkor.

Comment

Nice shots.

Comment

Working...
                            X