Rangers Opening Day Lens Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rangers Opening Day Lens Suggestions?

I have a friend of mine who writes for a sports blog and has "hired" me to join her at the opening day Rangers game to take some photos for her to post. It's a darn cool deal for me, if I say so myself. She paid for my ticket, will drive, and pay for all the beer I can drink.

Anyway, I'm not 100% certain where the seats are at, but I do know I'll be moving around a lot during the game to get shots all around The Ballpark. Currently, my best zoom lens is a Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3. I am strongly considering renting a different lens for this occasion. Anyone who has shot at the Ballpark have a suggestion?

I was considering the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS.

Any thoughts?

J

P.S.... I'm shooting a 7D

Congratulations on being able to experience this. I think for the type of shooting you described, being all over the park and stands, your existing lens will be just fine because you will be able to take it wide all the way through 270 mm. Trust me, with all the moving around you will be doing, you do not want to haul a lot of gear around with you.
    Since youwill be outside, the lens you have should be plenty fast enough if it a day game.
    Have a great time and let us know all about your experience!

Comment

I appreciate the advice WyoBill. I wasn't going to bring too much equipment. I still may rent that lens, for the main reason that I've never shot with an L lens. We'll see.... I'll probably forget, and run out of time, and never rent it.

Comment

Not sure if she has any press credentials that change things, but read up on any limits the park puts on camera gear. Minute Maid park here in Houston lists the max dimensions of the lens. I assume it is an easy, definitive way to say no pro lenses and have it enforced by anyone. Guy in front of me had a Nikon DSLR with a 55-200 which was over the deminsions and nothing was said. If you had a 70-200 or something like that, I would think you may attract some attention.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          Not sure if she has any press credentials that change things, but read up on any limits the park puts on camera gear. Minute Maid park here in Houston lists the max dimensions of the lens. I assume it is an easy, definitive way to say no pro lenses and have it enforced by anyone. Guy in front of me had a Nikon DSLR with a 55-200 which was over the deminsions and nothing was said. If you had a 70-200 or something like that, I would think you may attract some attention.
          Good point! Thanks for that advice! I know people on this site have posted some really great photos at The Ballpark, but for the life of me, I can't remember who they were. I'll look into the dimensions. I'm fairly certain my 18-270 would be ok. Surprisingly, it's fairly compact. I'm 99.9% certain my friend does not have any press credentials. That's be an awesome surprise though, wouldn't it?

J

Comment

I just came across Rangers' camera policy, and it's pretty darn vague.

"Cameras and video equipment are permitted in Rangers Ballpark. However, flash photography, video reproductions and equipment that might interfere with another guest’s enjoyment of the game are prohibited."

Comment

Working...
            X