A few pics from Big Bend/Ft Davis Spring break week 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few pics from Big Bend/Ft Davis Spring break week 2024

Had a great week in Big Bend area for Spring Break! Last year stayed in Marfa, this year Alpine and cruised around to BBNP, BBRSP, Guadalupe Mountains, Ft Davis area and much more. It is just an amazing part of Texas if you have not been there. This year we had a good amount of mammals, birds and reptiles. Here are a few. Saw a beautiful bobcat as well, maybe the largest I have ever seen, but could not get a picture.... was surprised to see a few elk as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	antelope 2024.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	26752022 Click image for larger version

Name:	audad big 2024.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	536.0 KB
ID:	26752017 Click image for larger version

Name:	audad group 2024.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	635.8 KB
ID:	26752018 Click image for larger version

Name:	elk 2024.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	26752020 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mulies 2024.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	534.7 KB
ID:	26752021 Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Bend 2024 Cacti.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	589.6 KB
ID:	26752019
    Attached Files

That’s a great area for Spring Break, we did that many years ago when our son was pretty young. Visted about the same places y’all did, but we didn’t see near as many animals. I recall pronghorns near Ft. Davis as well as javelina in Big Bend, and a couple horned toads while looking for arrowheads on a ranch belonging to Clayton Williams. We stayed in Alpine overnight and visited Joaquin Jackson and his wife Shirley at his home. He took us arrowhead hunting on the ranch and our son found one that I always suspected was planted by Joaquin ​​​​​​ I killed my first pronghorn near Ft. Davis when I had no idea what a good pronghorn was. It turned out to be just a few eighths shy of B&C minimum. The ranch was across the road from where the Republic of Texas guys were holed up when the FBI or whoever were trying to arrest them. Beautiful country full of history !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      That’s a great area for Spring Break, we did that many years ago when our son was pretty young. Visted about the same places y’all did, but we didn’t see near as many animals. I recall pronghorns near Ft. Davis as well as javelina in Big Bend, and a couple horned toads while looking for arrowheads on a ranch belonging to Clayton Williams. We stayed in Alpine overnight and visited Joaquin Jackson and his wife Shirley at his home. He took us arrowhead hunting on the ranch and our son found one that I always suspected was planted by Joaquin ​​​​​​ I killed my first pronghorn near Ft. Davis when I had no idea what a good pronghorn was. It turned out to be just a few eighths shy of B&C minimum. The ranch was across the road from where the Republic of Texas guys were holed up when the FBI or whoever were trying to arrest them. Beautiful country full of history !
      Yep, took my wife and I more than 50 years to make it out the BB and can't believe it took that long! We really enjoy the area and I would love to hunt antelope out there! Saw some bigger ones, but did not get pics. Have hunted them in Wyoming, Colorado and NM, but would really like a good Texas Antelope. We love to bird and see so many great birds out there as well.

Comment

I worked at the Prude ranch in Ft Davis when I was in college. First as a ranch hand and then as a camp counselor. I fell in love with that area. Got to ride a Palomino in the front of the 4th of July parade with the older Mr. Prude. When the summer was done but before it was time to go back to school he let me borrow his horse and I explored all over the ranch. Saw the biggest mule deer in my life up until one I hunted in AZ a couple years ago. That whole area from Balmorhea to Big Bend is just a special place.

Comment

Awesome pictures!

Comment

Very cool. Where was the elk at?

Comment

Originally posted by AJhunter91 View Post
              Very cool. Where was the elk at?
              Somewhere between the Guadalupe Mountains and Alpine! I know that is a big range but I don't remember exactly! Was so surprised!

Comment

Working...
              X