Lens recommendations for Wyoming antelope hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens recommendations for Wyoming antelope hunt

I’m going to Wyoming on an antelope hunt in early October. I’m looking for lens recommendations for my Nikon D7000 to use for primarily video but for some longer range stills as well. The guide told us to be prepared to make 400 yard shots so I’d like to be able to reach out there.

The “biggest” lens I currently have is a 300/f4, my walk around is an 18-200. I looked at the Tamron 150-600 but the fStop is up to 6.3 so I’m a little concerned about lower light videoing and stills.

400 yards is a loooonnngg way for just about any lens. You might think about doing a phoneskope with a spotter for that type of video. Otherwise, that Tamron or the Sigma equivalent would be a good bet unless you want to drop some serious coin on a f4 or f2.8 wildlife lens that is 500-600mm.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
      400 yards is a loooonnngg way for just about any lens. You might think about doing a phoneskope with a spotter for that type of video. Otherwise, that Tamron or the Sigma equivalent would be a good bet unless you want to drop some serious coin on a f4 or f2.8 wildlife lens that is 500-600mm.
      I don’t expect to get great footage if we have to shoot that far. Like I mentioned, given that the guide said we could’ve see shots anywhere from 50 yards to 400 yards I wanted to go with a variable lens.

This will be a rental lens. I don’t shoot enough to justify paying for a dedicated lens for this stuff.

Comment

You could buy a nikon p1000, for less then the price of those lens. And get far more " zoom". It's 125x or 3000mm ( optical) 12000mm ( digital) , your not going to find that in a replaceable lens, surly not one your going to carry. Not great photos at that range, but very respectable. And far better then digi scope with a spotting scope and phone. But that's an alternative also.
        Last edited by critter69; 10-13-2023, 09:18 PM.

Comment

I'd rent the biggest variable I could find. or an 800

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X