The Bobcat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bobcat

Those of you who do, you know that calling wildlife is an inexact science. Predators are especially tough... For every animal you call within camera range chances are that you tried several times before, unsuccessfully.

Every now and then, things just click. Two days before Christmas, I sat looking east at the edge where a cutover patch of trees and a tall grass prairie meet. Using a FoxPro electronic caller that mimics the sounds of an imperiled bluejay, it took only five minutes to attract every bluejay within earshot and a couple of more minutes to get the attention of a passing hawk.

At the twenty-two minute mark, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and noticed this beautiful female bobcat inching towards the sound.

Photographically, the setup was perfect: an overcast sky made the light soft and a crossing wind that drifted from north to south made sure that the bobcat wouldn't smell me. She was only 17 yards away and with the tripod mounted 500mm lens, my distance to the cat was ideal.

Despite the blaring sound of the call, the bobcat heard the shutter click on the first picture I took. She hung around and stared curiously for about a minute until she finally ran back into the brush.

Thirty minutes of walking in and set up, and twenty two minutes of listening to the call for a single minute of photographic frenzy.

It was worth the wait.

Once again.........Very Nice!!!

Comment

Great looking photos Russell, that cat looks to have quite a long coat, and an unusual black marking below her nose. She sure does blend in well.....

Comment

Great shots!!

Comment

Nice. Really really nice.

Comment

Very nice photos!

Comment

Very good. Beautiful cat.

Comment

very nice.

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Graves View Post
                    Those of you who do, you know that calling wildlife is an inexact science. Predators are especially tough... For every animal you call within camera range chances are that you tried several times before, unsuccessfully.

Every now and then, things just click. Two days before Christmas, I sat looking east at the edge where a cutover patch of trees and a tall grass prairie meet. Using a FoxPro electronic caller that mimics the sounds of an imperiled bluejay, it took only five minutes to attract every bluejay within earshot and a couple of more minutes to get the attention of a passing hawk.

At the twenty-two minute mark, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and noticed this beautiful female bobcat inching towards the sound.

Photographically, the setup was perfect: an overcast sky made the light soft and a crossing wind that drifted from north to south made sure that the bobcat wouldn't smell me. She was only 17 yards away and with the tripod mounted 500mm lens, my distance to the cat was ideal.

Despite the blaring sound of the call, the bobcat heard the shutter click on the first picture I took. She hung around and stared curiously for about a minute until she finally ran back into the brush.

Thirty minutes of walking in and set up, and twenty two minutes of listening to the call for a single minute of photographic frenzy.

It was worth the wait.

Awesome, very well put!

Comment

That is a GREAT shot.
                      I have been stalking one, but yours is majestic.

Comment

Love the power pose!

Comment

Oh that is good stuff.
                          We just got a predator call, I can't wait to see what comes to it!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome pictures!

Comment

Beautiful Cat and beautiful pictures!! Wow!

Comment

Working...
                              X