Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Christmas Light Shots (Help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Light Shots (Help)

We are heading to Santa's wonderland Friday. I have always had problems taking night shots of Christmas lights. I am going to be using my Nikon D40, with a 28-75 2.8 lens. If anyone has any pointers on settings I would appreciate it.

You should join this sight, and here are your tips.. Good luck and post up your captures.

Comment

Get some good pics

Comment

The "noise" is what seems to always hender my light photos and I was not aware you could correct that with software, I am not that great with photo editing to begin with so that doesn't help. I think I will be good this weekend!
        Last edited by Hafernick; 12-14-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

If I were going to shoot lights at night I would shoot with my 50mm 1.4 (also known as the nifty fifty), I would think a lens like that would be cheap to rent???...

Seeing as where you are going you will also be in a moving vehicle, which makes it hard to get good clear shots at night... I would have a monopod (I use a primos trigger stick) and stick it out the window onto the ground for as stable of a shot as your going to get... Run your ISO as close to 100 as you can while still getting the shot without blur...

Thats all I have, I am sure there will be folks with way more experience than I, come along and give better recommendations...

Comment

Ya sounds like your f/stop might be killing you. I would bump your ISO a tad, but not too much.
            Are yall going to be driving? Stationary?
            Pull out the long exposure if you have a steady surface.
            This might work:
            ISO 400, F.2,8, 1 second exposure, But be on a steady surface!!
            It will help to make your lights shine!

Comment

my dad was a photographer for the daily hearald in Chicago for a while and when he was teaching me to shoot he said he would always carry a little bean bag in his bag that he could drop on the hood for a quick really stable base. that 2.8 outta be plenty fast. sometimes when I shoot night I like to go the otherway and turn the f stop to like 22 with a super long exp. you get that cool starburst effect.

Comment

I am taking my monopod and some aiming fluid so I should be plenty steady...

Comment

looking forward to seeing some

Comment

Working...
                  X