No announcement yet.

Trying to learn (w/ hunting trip Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing shots, sir. I think your "learning days" are over!

Comment

Your off to a great start! Very nice

Comment

Just awsomenesss

Comment

nice looking pics

Comment

Your doing a heck of a lot better than I can do.Great pictures!

Comment

Very nice! You have some really great shots here. You have a good eye for composition, and that's huge. Post processing work takes some practice and time. It's easy to overdo it.

If you still have the originals of these, I'd recommend taking another run at them. Go easier on the saturation and especially the contrast adjustments. Too much contrast will give you halos around dark objects with light backgrounds. Look at the mountains, trees, and deer that are silhouetted against the sky as well as the black cattle in the grass. You'll see the halos. Contrast adjustments can also make dark colors go completely black and light colors to go completely bright, and that makes details disappear. Too little contrast can leave a picture looking blah, so you usually need to boost contrast a little. Just go easy on it.

Comment

Thanks, Shane.

I definitely need to work on the post processing and actually get better software to help out with it. Any tips for clearing up images of moving animals (running mach 10) and a side window that's a little dirty. Really bumping up the contrast was the only way I could get the blurrs off them. Only one that I can't seem to do much with is the first one, it's just a weird shot that the fresh powder made very bright and the low clouds made hazy.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                  Thanks, Shane.

I definitely need to work on the post processing and actually get better software to help out with it. Any tips for clearing up images of moving animals (running mach 10) and a side window that's a little dirty. Really bumping up the contrast was the only way I could get the blurrs off them. Only one that I can't seem to do much with is the first one, it's just a weird shot that the fresh powder made very bright and the low clouds made hazy.
                  It's best to not rely on post processing to fix things, whenever possible. Of course, we all have things to fix in post processing all the time. But with more time behind the camera, you get to where you can get things right in camera more often. Get Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop Elements if you can. Lr would be 1st choice for general photography stuff, but Elements is very nice too.

There is no software fix for motion blur. The only fix for that is faster shutter speed. Sometimes the only way to get that with a proper exposure is to spend the bucks for a really nice lens with a larger aperture (f/2.8.....). They're usually not cheap, unfortunately.

Don't take pics out of moving vehicles. Don't take pics through truck windows. Those are snapshots. If you want real photos, you gotta set up and do it right.

Get a quality polarizing filter for your outdoor lens(es). If you shoot in hazy skies, around water, snow, ice, bright sun, clouds, or just about anything else outdoors, a polarizer can really help most of the time. It will cut through the haze, dramatically reduce glare, and make colors and details pop better. It can cost you a little bit of light, but it's usually worth it. If you're fighting for more shutter speed in low light, then take the polarizer off. But leave it on as much as you can outdoors.

Comment

awesome pics!

Comment

Love The mountains

Comment

I think those are some great pics

Comment

I will second everything that Shane said.....composition is great, but it is definitely easy to overdo it with post processing. That's something that I learned out quickly as well. Also, lightroom 3 is well worth the expense.

Comment

Great Pics!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              Don't take pics out of moving vehicles. Don't take pics through truck windows. Those are snapshots. If you want real photos, you gotta set up and do it right.

Get a quality polarizing filter for your outdoor lens(es). If you shoot in hazy skies, around water, snow, ice, bright sun, clouds, or just about anything else outdoors, a polarizer can really help most of the time. It will cut through the haze, dramatically reduce glare, and make colors and details pop better. It can cost you a little bit of light, but it's usually worth it. If you're fighting for more shutter speed in low light, then take the polarizer off. But leave it on as much as you can outdoors.
                              Opening the truck door to let the "good air" out while the poptarts were heating up on the air vents would have violated the terms of our hunting agreement.

I definitely need to upgrade equipment and at some point I will. The wife and I have a week long Yellowstone trip scheduled at the end of May/first of June for our one year anniversary, so I will be getting plenty more practice.

Comment

nice pics

Comment

Working...
                                X