Canon's new 200-400L F4 with built in 1.4x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon's new 200-400L F4 with built in 1.4x

With the release of the 70-300L and the newly announced 200-400L I am afraid the 100-400L (my favorite somewhat "affordable" wildlife lens) is never going to get an update.

With that said, if you can sell your car and buy the 200-400L with a built in 1.4x teleconverter, it looks like its going to be outstanding. With regards to pricing, no one knows yet but I've heard as high as $9500. That wouldn't be too surprising given the recent insane price jumps for all the Canon big guns. One reason I've always liked Canon was the prices for their high end lenses were actually quite a bit lower than Nikon, but I don't think that will be the case any longer. The Nikon equivalent lens is $6500 but it doesnt have the built in 1.4x flip. My advice... buy slightly used

Canon 600 L $8800 -> $12000
    Canon 500 L $6500 -> $9500
    Canon 400 L F2.8 $7500 -> $10,500
    Canon 300 L F2.8 $4500 -> $6600

Anyway, the 200-400L F4 should be an excellent wildlife lens, but from the pics it looks big... real big.

Here is a early look:
    Is the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Lens right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

Here is a size comparison I think should be fairly accurate. I ripped it off the web and added to more well known lenses, the 100-400 and 70-200 F2.8 IS

Go ahead and throw that in your hunting bag XD. At least you could club a hog to death with it if it charged you.

Snap.
    That's some serious glass.

Kudos to Canon for that one.

Comment

Too rich for me, but it would be nice. You should get one and let us know how you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by SOLID EAGLE View Post
        Too rich for me, but it would be nice. You should get one and let us know how you like it.
        Straight up swap for a Kidney.

Comment

HOLY COW! That is some serious glass for sure!

Comment

The 100-400L on the bottom looks like the most versatile of the bunch and the most compact. How huch is that one and how fast? That would be my dream lens.

Now a 70-500

J.P.

Comment

Working...
            X