Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camera/lense advice for a different application

Guys and gals,
    My wife is learning as she goes and getting into knife and jewelry photography. Most of her work is done in a light tent. Right now she is using an olympus 6 something megapixel camera that is several years old. Do you have a recommendation on a new camera and or lense set up that would help her out. The budget is 500 to 1000. Is it possible to get a good camera and lense at that price range or am I starting to get out of the realm of reality? Thanks ahead for any and all help

I think your budget is fine. There are others on the board WAY more knowledgeable than me, but I feel like you can get a great Canon DSLR w/ kit lens for under a grand. Then, you may want to opt for a Canon 50mm F/1.8 (about $100) for the knife and jewelry photos. Just a thought.

Comment

Ryan, this is the camera I have. I think it would fit the bill for you. You need a tripod, but I assume she already has one. Smaller apertures (higher f/stop numbers) give you a wider depth of field to get everything in focus. That means less light and longer shutter speeds, so a tripod comes in handy. This camera and lens would work great.

She might want a flash or two eventually too, but you gotta start with the camera and lens first.

Comment

justthrowit and Shane ya'll made me feel alot better about what I just did lol.
        I went by best buy in Amarillo after reading all the reviews about the exact camera you just posted Shane. Needless to say that's what I ended up with. There was another that was 15.1 with a couple of lenses, but I figured she could upgrade lenses later, but never mp. Thanks a ton for the advice and help.
        editedto add They were on sale for 849.00 right now at Best Buy, I got some other goodies for the camera for a discount so I think I came out alright looking at pricing on the internet. .
        Last edited by doublearrow; 02-03-2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you got a great deal, Ryan.

Comment

Working...
          X