Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a new camera question (Canon SLR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a new camera question (Canon SLR)

I have a thread on here about the wife's digital Rebel dying and sending it back to Canon

They have offered me several "upgrade" options that consist of a refurbished camera that comes with a 90day warranty

During my research into the options i ran across a deal for a "overseas" version that was cheaper than the lower tier model I was looking at. I understand there is probably no warranty on the foreign version but I was only getting 90 days anyway. The camera is already in the states so i am sure that tariffs, duties, etc have already been paid (I would of course verify all of this before pulling the trigger).

Give me a reason NOT to buy one of these in my situation. If I was buying a brand new camera it would make a difference but I can't see 90days of warranty making that much of a difference.

Also I am assuming that Canon would still repair the camera on my dime reguardless of it being made for the overseas market

Thanks

Check out this website, they have many people who have bought through Canon's loyalty program. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...=canon+loyalty

Many talk about buying extended, third party warranties that are good.

Comment

I had to send mine back to Canon just a couple days before Christmas for warranty repair. It came back to me repaired for free exactly one week after it left my house, and that was at Christmas. I was blown away.

If you have a Canon warranty, it's nice. Don't know how much a 90-day warranty would be worth, but I was very pleased with my first Canon warranty repair experience.

Contrast that with a repair I had on a Tokina lens a month or two ago. Warranty expired. It cost me $100 plus shipping, and after a month of not getting the lens back I emailed them to find out when I could expect to get it. No email response, but the lens arrived a couple days later. At least it works now, but their service wasn't the best.

Comment

Shane, what Canon do u have? Thanks for the info

Comment

Rebel T2i

Comment

I think they have good warranty service, that is not the question. The question is not even about warranty really because the refurb has 90day and the "overseas" version has none to my knowledge.

Basically I was wanting to know if there was some reason I had not thought of not to buy the overseas version. ie cheaper materials and or craftsmanship

Comment

How can you tell the difference in Canons? I didn't know there were "over seas" models? Are these the WalMart models? I've been looking at the sxi 30.

Comment

I've owned several Canons and the talk above is true. They have whats called USA Cannons (which is essentially Cannons with USA Warranty Cards meant to be bought and sold in the US) and then they have Canons which are "grey market". These Cannons may be bought in the US but their original intent was not to be bought and sold here. These camers while technically are solid camera's and the same as their USA counterparts, do not come with a USA warranty. You're pretty much on your own if something goes wrong with it.

Comment

Working...
                X