Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Time lapse info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time lapse info needed

I am about to have somebody build me a stock pond and I was wondering how I could go about capturing the build in a time lapse video? What equiptment would I need to purchase for this? duh a camcorder but any certain one? Thanks for the help. Build will start the end of January

Most time lapse is shot with still cameras. You don't have to have a top of the line DSLR to shoot good timelapse, there are lots of folks doing with point and shoots. What you need is a camera that can be triggered with a remote trigger. Lots of people are using the canon "S" line of powershots, as it's pretty easy to rig them to shoot TL. There's a wealth of information on the timescapes forums about how to set this up.

Comment

I have a D-90 with a 70-200 f2.8 just wasn't crazy about leaving it on a tripod out side for three to four days.

Comment

You'd need your D90, A wide angle lens, a intervalometer, and a program to stack your images on your computer to make a video. And time.

Comment

There is nothing that will video say for 2-3 seconds every five minutes or so. I am wanting to put it on a 20 foot pole and only take it down at night. I'm not wanting to stand there and take a bunch of pics.

Comment

Buy a plotwatcher camera. They are made by Day 6 Outdoors. It takes a picture every 5 or every 10 seconds. It would work perfect for this. It comes with software. They are around $200. Batteries will last 5 or 6 days but you can change them out at night if it takes longer.

Comment

The intervalometer (interval timer) that Hillary mentioned does that for you. During the day with a DSLR you would set at a faster shutter speed than what the timer will do but you would set the interval (how often to take a photo) on the intervalometer. You then put all the photos together, I use Quicktime Pro for this. As Chris mentioned you can do this with a point and shoot if it has a place to plug the intervalometer into. Using a DSLR I have only used Aperture priority so far as my primary setting and manual focus.

The time lapse in this thread was approx. 360 photos and made a 24 second time lapse. You will be stacking alot of photos for 4 days worth.

Comment

I have a Sony hand held video camera that can run on batteries for long time. It has a 30 g hard drive and it will video for about 18 hours. I would just video for the 3 days and go into some movie maker software and add you increase the play speed and get just the same as a stacking still pictures. I recorded my trip from the Netherlands to Luxembourg and then from Luxembourg to Paris earlier this year.

Comment

Working...
                X