Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birds and Burrs

Dove hunting this weekend was tough.

The numbers of birds we saw was less than spectacular and with lots of rainfall this summer, the grassburrs were nearly oppressive. Hitting fast flying doves is tough enough but then having to retrieve a few birds in a sticker patch that bordered the fence row we hunted - that took this dove hunt to a whole new level.

Once, when the action was slow, I counted the grassburs on a few plants, averaged the number of burrs per plant, figured that a mature plant covers a square yard, and then extrapolated the number of burrs on the 100-acre, grown over wheat field in which we were hunting...

Here's my math:

7 burrs per head
    130 heads per plant
    Each plant covers one square yard
    4,840 square yards in an acre
    That's 4,400,000 burrs per acre or 440 billion burrs on this farm.

Last edited by Russell Graves; 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM.

Awesome pics!

Comment

Awesome as usual Russell. Looks like a dogs worst nightmare.

Brandon

Comment

Great pics, Russell. Hate the grass burrs. Man, y'all are covered in 'em this year. That sucks. At least you'll have about 1,000,000 years' worth of seeds laying on the ground now. Not going to go extinct anytime soon.

Comment

Man, the burrs were thick and the photos were amazing as to be expected from you.... Thanks for sharing...

Comment

Nice pics as usual. I stopped LBJ State Park a couple of weeks ago and stepped into a patch of them. I had to wait til I got home and put a pair of nitrile gloves on to get them off.

Comment

great photos! Im worried about how my dog will be able to work in the thick burrs

Comment

man, you can even make stickers look good! awesome pics.......

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys. While the hunting was slow, I had a great time with my dad and brother.

Comment

Who would've thought? Burrs as a photo opp. Awsome photos. Im loaded with them this year at my place. Now I can turn a negative into a positive.

Comment

Love your Fisheye Skills!

Comment

Great shots and OUCH!

Comment

Cool pics

Comment

Working...
                          X