Canon files in-camera HDR patent on a per pixel level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon files in-camera HDR patent on a per pixel level

There's certainly cameras out there that offer in-camera HDR (or High Dynamic Range), but none that go quite as far as what Canon has detailed in a recently published patent application. The short of it is that Canon's proposed method would alter exposure values at the individual pixel level, which should effectively emulate what's now possible but stitching together multiple photographs taken at different exposure settings -- and, for that matter, even open up some new possibilities since those single-pixel exposure values could be tweaked at will. Of course, there's no indication as to what type of camera the method would be used in, or any evidence that Canon has actually taken it beyond the patent application stage, so we wouldn't recommend getting too excited about the possibilities just yet.

Funny things about this is a buddy and I talked about this about a year ago while taking some landscape photos. If they can get this right, I think it will be a major game changer.

That's where everything is headed. I don't know if this is THE technology or not, but getting a camera sensor - as well as a computer monitor and print technology - that can see, capture and reproduce the same dynamic range as a human eye is the goal.

Gonna be cool when they get there.

Comment

Stacie has been saying that sooner or later one of them will figure out how to put a camera in our eye. Sounds like Canon is in the beginning of it. How cool would that be to have a camera that sees what the human eye can see on a dynamic light range?

Comment

Interesting....

Comment

Working...
        X