Replacing photos in flickr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing photos in flickr

Can photos be switched in flickr so the link in a thread isn't lost?

Bill, looks like you can with a pro account on flickr, however, you need to search in the faq to find out how. info I read stated prior to something in 2007 you could flat out replace and link would stay, after, now they change links...not sure why that info is still in there since it is three years old. the other was was to use the piknik editor and replace within there and the link should stay intact., but you have to have that pro account....

suggestion, if you are just using it for online storage, you might be better off getting a domain and hosting it somewhere and just learning how to upload via ftp, which is pretty simple, then you can replace at will, name what you want to this or that, keep links, break links, change links....and it can follow you from host to host...all up to you...you can find hosting for $5 or so a month...

Even better, I think LoneAggie (MATT) should come up with a little mini-flickr type setup and put it out there for a few pennies a month...he can make a little money and everyone can get their easy image hosting

Comment

Let's just say you posted a photo here that is linked back to flickr. If you replace the photo on flickr, the link here gets busted and we get a white screen. The new picture gets a new name, so the link gets clipped.

That's been my experience, anyway.

Comment

Serious Survey here. How many would be interested in photo hosting where you could upload (via a simple browser interface) unlimited numbers of photos, and have links to them for email/forum/general internet use? (This is completely in my ballpark in terms of getting done just curious how much interest there is)

Comment

My experience has been as Casey described. Even if you just do a quick and easy edit in Flickr's own photo editing program (Picnik), you bust the link the moment you say "replace."

Comment

go MATT go!

Comment

Haha, I'm totally up for it, I have about half of it done already as the photo gallery editor I provide with some of my websites. All its really lacking is ability to split into galleries and a little popup that would provide you the link to use.

Just so I'm clear, the issue with Flickr is that if you change the photo, for example you adjust the lighting on the photo, it breaks your link?

Comment

Bill, your issue is the only problem I have with Flickr. I edit a photo or resize it and bam........ the white screen of death on linked photos.

I would be interested in how to keep the link too.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                  Just so I'm clear, the issue with Flickr is that if you change the photo, for example you adjust the lighting on the photo, it breaks your link?
                  You are correct. You can change permissions, add tags, change the title, change the description, dates... anything you want until you change the picture itself.

Here is a picture of a giant easter egg...

It's URL is: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3310/...8e4a08cf_o.jpg

Now I'm going to edit it in Picnik. I'll just "autofix" the color.

Now I click "save" and it asks me if I want to "save a new copy" or "replace the old photo." I'm going to check "replace the old photo." Then I click "save" again. Then "confirm replace."

Now I'm going to link it again...

And here's the URL: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3310/...2a456330_b.jpg

Notice that the URL has now changed.

Now the weird thing is I can still see both pictures. But I'm pretty sure it's because it's in my computer's cache. As soon as I hit refresh, it will probably go away.

Comment

Yep. As soon as I hit refresh, I see white box for the original and I only see the Easter egg where I relinked it after the edit. (The second one.) Make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by loneaggie View Post
                      serious survey here. How many would be interested in photo hosting where you could upload (via a simple browser interface) unlimited numbers of photos, and have links to them for email/forum/general internet use? (this is completely in my ballpark in terms of getting done just curious how much interest there is)
                      yes!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like it can't be done.

Comment

Working...
                        X