Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 Decades of Louisiana Blues

A few grabs I got at a 70th birthday party gig I shot on Saturday

I really got to play with my flash on a real bases and was very impressed. I have been working on making my own flash card/reflector. Here is some of what I got. My goal is the get flash pictures that do not look like flash.

Every one of these were flashed with a SB600 on camera(d300); note the "directional light".

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0816.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	24808309

Name:	DSC_0921.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	24808310

Name:	DSC_0923.jpg
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	24808311

Name:	DSC_0941.jpg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	24808312

Name:	DSC_1044.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	24808313

Name:	DSC_1057.jpg
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	24808314

Name:	DSC_1063.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	24808315

Name:	DSC_1119.jpg
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	24808316

Name:	DSC_1161.jpg
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	24808317

Name:	DSC_1231.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	24808318

Name:	DSC_1327.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	24808319

Name:	DSC_1334.jpg
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	24808320

Name:	DSC_9539.jpg
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	24808321

Name:	DSC_9592.jpg
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	24808322
    Last edited by Wildman; 06-01-2010, 01:10 PM.

very nice shots

Comment

Good work, Danny. So are you angling the flash to the side and bouncing the light off of a reflector? Any pics of your setup?

Comment

nice shots!!

Comment

Sweet shots !

Comment

Now Shane....... I can't tell you that or everyone will be doing it. Here is a hint. You can find out how to do it on Google (and a link that I posted on other thread).

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman View Post
              Now Shane....... I can't tell you that or everyone will be doing it. Here is a hint. You can find out how to do it on Google (and a link that I posted on other thread).

Comment

Good stuff! I have gotten into the rather lazy habit of just using an omnibounce diffuser pointed straight up to soften flash shadows. It does help, but this is much better. I would love to see what these same photos would have looked like with ambient light only. I'm sure you've improved on them with flash, but it's hard to tell. (Which I understand is exactly the point.) Nice job!

Comment

Snake, understand that I am just learning this technique so I can not be a teacher as of yet. The great aspect of the combination of the flash technique I am using is that I can shoot slower lenses. I shot all the shots above with a 18-200 3.5/5.6 vr and stayed at 5.6 most of the time in "stealth" mode. Between movement and available light I would not have been fast enough at 5.6 to get clean shots.

The flash technique and ambient light is to enhance the direction of the light more than using the flash. Using only ambient light on the 7th photo, for example, would have resulted in heavy shadowing because the only light source is one over head light that is a flood light for the purpose of lighting only that desk area.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman View Post
                    Using only ambient light on the 7th photo, for example, would have resulted in heavy shadowing because the only light source is one over head light that is a flood light for the purpose of lighting only that desk area.
                    Bounced your flash off a wall behind you? My daughter gave me "the book" a month ago for my birthday, but I haven't read it yet. This may motivate me!

Comment

Nice work Danny. Be glad to hear what you are doing. I use the lazy Gary Fong method.

Comment

What book?!

I just bit the bullet on a pair of ailenbees and some flash gear setup. Trying to play off camera strobist now.
                        A full report soon, my friends. The gear will be here on Thursday.
                        Thanks for the info, Danny. Enjoyed it. Flash is a whole new world that fascinates me!

Comment

Very nice shots! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                          X