Nikon lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon lens

My wife is looking for a Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens for her D40. Is this a good starter lens for her? Where should she look to buy one?

Not sure what your budget is but for a good all around lens I would recommend the Nikon 18-200 VR.
    I just bought my daughter the Tamron 18-200 for just under 300 dollars after the 60 dollar rebate and she is shooting the D40. It is a good all around lens but both of the lenses mentioned here also give you a wider angle option as well.
    I have purchased a lot of equipment from B&H Photo and have always had a great experience with them.

Comment

I will look into the 18-200 VR. I was hoping someone might be wanting to upgrade thier kit kens but I will see what B&H has.

Comment

I have the lens you are looking at. I got it with a kit with my D5000, it's a good lens but not a great lens, one of these days when my funds are better I will sell mine in search of a 70-300mm in a lower F-number.

The 55-200 AF-S is on the slow side so you better have a tripod. If you are just looking for more zoom this might work well for you. I see them used on Craigslist all the time.

I wish I lived closer to you, I'd let you borrow it for a weekend or two.

Comment

I have the 55-200 VR and it is a good pair with the D40 for a lot of situations. The VR makes it nice not needing a tripod on most cases, and the lens is still really small. Not a ton of zoom, but for the size and price I feel it is a great compliment to the D40, especially if she has the 18-55 kit lens. I second the recommendation on B&H. I buy almost everything from them.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
            Not sure what your budget is but for a good all around lens I would recommend the Nikon 18-200 VR.
            I just bought my daughter the Tamron 18-200 for just under 300 dollars after the 60 dollar rebate and she is shooting the D40. It is a good all around lens but both of the lenses mentioned here also give you a wider angle option as well.
            I have purchased a lot of equipment from B&H Photo and have always had a great experience with them.
            100% agree
            Starting with a 55mm min, you are going to have some distance for the shot. 18mm is good, and this lens is a good one for all the time.

Comment

I have this exact lense and it works fine for a beginner like myself. I am already wanting to sell it and my f1.8 50mm and get a good 18-200 lense to use.

Comment

I have a Nikon D200 with the 18-200 vr lens, and it is awesome. The clarity and range of the lens will spoil you, and will make all of your pictures better. Think of the camera lens the way you think of a scope. THere is no substitute for quality. Period. Stay with Nikon and it is worth the extra cash for the wider angle. 18-200 does it all.

Comment

Working...
                X