Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CONTEST #48: GREEN (ends March 15, midnight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonecollector7 - Thank you and I agree, this group here can shoot photos and having a collective group representing the entire State of Texas, with a common bond through an Outdoor Lifestyle, very cool to see what hits the Green Screen.

Here's my equipment list

Canon 50D (my main body)

Canon 350D (backup body & serves as another lens setup when I need a quick setup with a different focal length)

Olympus 770SW (waterproof and rugged point & shoot - when weather or conditions are too risky for the other gear)

Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM - My main wildlife lens. Built in lens hood.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - Every now and then this lens pulls a keeper. Added a Canon lens hood, it works well with the 350D using a few custom presets on the camera's body

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 - An excellent wide angle lens.....it's literally sun flare proof. Comes with a decent lens hood.

Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro - Decent walk around lens but it's prone to sun flares. Comes with a decent lens hood.

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye - Russian made lens and all manual. The only thing it provides the body, light metering. No autofocus but it's so wide, I just set it on infinity and forget it. Can't use a lens hood with this one, it's too wide, edges would hit the frame edges.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - So cheap but oh so good - The Nifty 50. Added a collapsing cheap rubber lens hood that threads onto the filter threads - very handy.

Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DG Teleconverter - I rarely use this but I have it just in case

Opteka Battery Grip + 2 BP-511A batteries - When the flash unit is applied, this covers the extra battery drain

Canon Speedlite 580 EX II flash

Kenko Teleplus DG Extension Tube Set (12mm, 20mm & 36mm)

V2s Wireless Remote Control - 50D

Canon Remote Controller RC-1 - 350D wireless remote

I carry 3 different tripods in my truck. One is steel and aluminum - picked this up from a NAM vet that bought it in Japan during his R&R. Heavy and solid but it's too bulky to pack far. Not a big deal when I shoot close to the truck. I have a couple of light weight, telescopic plastics I carry when I pack places and need a quick rest. Wind can be an issue with these guys though.

Adding these lenses to the collection through the next few pay periods

CANON EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM - Really want a longer range macro

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - This lens will probably end up becoming my main walk-around lens - mainly used for candids

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
      Bonecollector7 - Thank you and I agree, this group here can shoot photos and having a collective group representing the entire State of Texas, with a common bond through an Outdoor Lifestyle, very cool to see what hits the Green Screen.

Here's my equipment list

Canon 50D (my main body)

Canon 350D (backup body & serves as another lens setup when I need a quick setup with a different focal length)

Olympus 770SW (waterproof and rugged point & shoot - when weather or conditions are too risky for the other gear)

Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM - My main wildlife lens. Built in lens hood.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - Every now and then this lens pulls a keeper. Added a Canon lens hood, it works well with the 350D using a few custom presets on the camera's body

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 - An excellent wide angle lens.....it's literally sun flare proof. Comes with a decent lens hood.

Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro - Decent walk around lens but it's prone to sun flares. Comes with a decent lens hood.

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye - Russian made lens and all manual. The only thing it provides the body, light metering. No autofocus but it's so wide, I just set it on infinity and forget it. Can't use a lens hood with this one, it's too wide, edges would hit the frame edges.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - So cheap but oh so good - The Nifty 50. Added a collapsing cheap rubber lens hood that threads onto the filter threads - very handy.

Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DG Teleconverter - I rarely use this but I have it just in case

Opteka Battery Grip + 2 BP-511A batteries - When the flash unit is applied, this covers the extra battery drain

Canon Speedlite 580 EX II flash

Kenko Teleplus DG Extension Tube Set (12mm, 20mm & 36mm)

V2s Wireless Remote Control - 50D

Canon Remote Controller RC-1 - 350D wireless remote

I carry 3 different tripods in my truck. One is steel and aluminum - picked this up from a NAM vet that bought it in Japan during his R&R. Heavy and solid but it's too bulky to pack far. Not a big deal when I shoot close to the truck. I have a couple of light weight, telescopic plastics I carry when I pack places and need a quick rest. Wind can be an issue with these guys though.

Adding these lenses to the collection through the next few pay periods

CANON EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM - Really want a longer range macro

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - This lens will probably end up becoming my main walk-around lens - mainly used for candids
      wow! thanks so much i really appreciate it and this will definately help me in the near future! and i also wanted to ask you what you thought about the canon rebel T1i with a 70-300f/4-5.6 IS USM for landscape and wildlife? i really cant afford the 50D or the T2i so i thought about getting the T1i and getting a good lense such as the 70-300 for my outdoor photography, and are there any other lenses that would be good for wildlife/landscape pictures around that price range? thanks so much!

Comment

The 70-300 is a decent lens but you will find it's a tad too long for wide scenics unless your main subject is 50-100 yards away. Mind you the subject will be pretty tight at 70mm. The Guadalupe River - Schumacher Crossing pic above was shot with this same lens using my old Canon 350D, using several custom presets that worked with this lens. That scene was roughly 100 yards out and shot at 75mm, ISO 100, f/32 with a long exposure at 1.3 seconds. Most wouldn't even think of using these settings for this particular sot but over time you can make this lens perform if your willing to take the time to learn where it's sweet zone is.

I would recommend keeping an eye posted on Craigslist in your immediate area. An example of this is....I found a used Canon 40d for 450.00 last week as well as a 50d for 800.00. I nearly jumped on the 40d since it has a fast cycle rate, a great help with wildlife followups. There are typically a few decent used Canon lenses on Craigslist posted each week as well. It's probably the cheapest way to locally check the gear and buy. You have the option of taking your body along, match the lens and shoot a few to see if it's ok.

The TI1 is an excellent body, way better than my old 350D. Shoots about the same frames per second but it has 7mp more and better processing/features than my old body. Plenty of camera to jump in!

Comment

wow ya'll take some great pictures - pretty awesome!

Comment

Just picked up this lens 2 days ago - cannot wait to put it to use

Comment

Originally posted by cake View Post

It's on my wishlist....... I've read really good things about it.

J

Comment

[ATTACH]151006[/ATTACH]

Comment

Comment

my jeep

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                      It's on my wishlist....... I've read really good things about it.

J
                      I know a place you can borrow one if you want to try it out

It's really close.....

Comment

Green is good!

Last edited by Tmag; 11-24-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cake View Post
                          Just got mine last week...got a P.H.E.N.O.M.E.N.A.L. deal on it after being outbid on Ebay 4 times on the dang thing. Gonna spend some time with it this weekend. Awesome lens.

Comment

They were green when i took the picture i swear.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              I know a place you can borrow one if you want to try it out

It's really close.....

Appreciate the offer, Rod! I may have to take you up on that offer.

J

Comment

Hawaii

Help! I need help to post my pic
                                Last edited by HPD96G15; 03-06-2010, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X