Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our West Texas Desert Mule Deer Hunt (Long Read-Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our West Texas Desert Mule Deer Hunt (Long Read-Pic Heavy)

My dad and I hopped in my truck Thursday evening at 5PM and began our almost 12 hour drive to West Texas near Big Bend. We were in bad shape, we both had a bad cold, I had been running a fever for 2 days and he had an infected tooth. So I guess it takes a lot to keep us from going on our hunts... The snow/ice in Odessa slowed us way down so we got a hotel, spent the night and tried to get to feeling better before we made the rest of the drive Friday morning. Well, when we woke up we knew we were a in trouble...

Well after about 6 more hours of driving we FINALLY made it! Luckily the snow had let up just before we got to the ranch. So it was just chilly (21-degrees)
    Here's a few random pics of the ranch. I don't know how the deer live in this terrain but they do...

We saw lots of does like this on the hill sides and hill tops.

After 4 days of being there, not seeing any shooter bucks and still both having pretty bad colds we decided to head home after we made one more pass through our favorite area on the ranch. We even packed all our stuff so we could just take off after we hunted. As we came up the hill there was a buck walking away from us up the steep him at about 150 yards. Since my old man got one last year and I didn't, I was up to shoot. I made a small stalk and smoked him with my Weatherby 30-06!

We gutted and loaded him up and my dad says "We will hunt back to the camp then leave". Sure enough we came back down the other side of the hill from where I killed mine and there was another buck with about 15 does. BAM! My old man smoked his. They are almost identical. Neither have big racks but huge bodies and will eat just fine!

Then we had the kodak moment of the trip as we were headed back to camp with all of our camping gear and two big mule deer bucks tied in with the tailgate down. Or at least we thought they were tied in until we headed up a steep hill in 4 wheel drive. OOPS!

great pics and story. congrats on the harvest

Comment

Looks like yall had a good time. liked chaseing mulies when I lived in Arizona

Comment

looks like fun

Comment

Originally posted by kawasaki08green View Post
          Looks like yall had a good time. liked chaseing mulies when I lived in Arizona
          You ever hunt Couse (sp?) Deer out there?

Comment

Sounds like good times, beautiful country for sure.

Comment

Thanks for taking us along! Beautiful country. Congrats on the mulies!

Comment

My Dad has a buddy out that way with 15,000 acres. Beautiful, rough, rugged country. He lets us hunt quail and javelina out there and we always manage to run across some of his monster mulies. They are impressive animals, to say the least. Congrats on the successful hunt.

Comment

beautiful country!

Comment

Big congrats!

Comment

Looks like a great time.

Comment

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

thats awesome looks like yall had a good time inspite of feeling bad congrats on the deer

Comment

Couple more cell phone pics I just downloaded...

The glass above the indoor pool in the hotel we spent the night in on our way down. In Odessa TX.

Comment

Working...
                              X