The moon last night.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The moon last night.

I was wondering if we have any more nightowls in here. The moon looked full last night, but it had some sort of halo or ring around it. I was wondering if anyone got to shoot it? I couldn't get it to come out right.

Too cloudy around here for that. And Tuesday was the full moon. Sure would be nice if someone else around Texas got it, when it wasn't cloudy out!

Comment

Found this on what it was....
      The Virginian-Pilot: Your source for Virginia breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and traffic

By Cindy Clayton
      The Virginian-Pilot
      © December 2, 2009
      A little atmospheric reflection gave the moon a mysterious ring of light overnight.

The white ring that encircled the moon isn’t much of a mystery, according to NASA scientists. The ring is caused by the reflection of the moon’s light from ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

The hexagonal shape of the crystals causes the light to focus into a ring, according to the "Ask an Astrophysicist" feature on the Goddard Space Flight Center's Web site.

Because of the hexagonal shape, scientists pointed out, the ring is always the same size.

The light of the moon actually is reflected sunlight, they added.

Comment

I saw that thanksgiving night also. I was wondering what caused it.

Comment

I'll share the best pic, but I'm not happy with it.

Comment

I've tried to take photos of the moon ring before but didnt like how it turned out. Its not an easy shot to master!

Comment

Yea it was pretty cool looking but no photos!

Comment

sunny f16 rule applies. It is good to have something in the foreground to give it depth and a tripod goes a long way

Comment

my first attempt

Tried to take a pic of the moon last night it was very clear.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X