Flash Metering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash Metering

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to meter for a flash shot? (both regular and fill) Basically what I have to do now is just take a few practice shots and adjust until I get what I want. Also, for normal flash photos what ISO do you use? I know thats one of those "it depends" question, but is it typically on the 100-300 side or the 800-1000 range?

Anyone?

Comment

Are you shooting in manual mode or a program mode? It also depends on particular camera and internal/external flash.
      I shoot iso 100 for any type of portrait/pano/scenic stuff.

I do the practice and shoot as well. But usually only take a couple shots to get where I want.

Comment

I shoot probably 95% of the time in Manual mode... Camera Canon 30D, Flash Canon Speedlite 380EX (external).

Comment

If you are in manual mode and are looking to fill, drop the strobe by two thirds, I am not sure if the 380ex can do this or not though. If you are at 5.6 set flash for 4 and a third or 4. The less flash you use the better it looks. Also, if you can, rotate your flash strait up and use a white card rubber banded to the flash. No harsh shadows and bright eyes.

Comment

Working...
          X