TBH Brain trust please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TBH Brain trust please help.

Ok, here's the deal. Which camera is the best deal for the money? Canon Rebel EOS T1i for $749 or the Nikon D5000 for $799. Both are on sale, and this is a big decision to be making since I'm don't have any experience with either one.

My vote is Nikon. I have (3) of them. Can't go wrong with their optics.

Comment

Does the Canon go by a different name/description?

Here's a link to a camera review site that does side-by-sides, but I couldn't find the Canon. The D5000 is in there.

Edit to Add:
      I suppose the Canon hasn't been reviewed and that's why it's not in the list.

Here's a good rundown on the three comparible Nikon offerings, one of which is the D5000
      The recent boom in DSLR sales has seen all the major manufacturers adding bulked-up or stripped-down entry level models, repositioning their offerings to make sure that anyone willing to put up with the size and weight of a DSLR will look at one of their models. The whole thing has often left existing DSLR owners a little lost - 'why isn't there a direct replacement for my camera?' - but has undoubtedly meant there are many more attractive, accessible cameras on the market just waiting to entice first-time DSLR owners.

Last edited by M38A1; 11-19-2009, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I have the Rebel and love it but can't compare it to a Nikon since I have never used one. The T1i has a nice display and is very user friendly. IMO...

Comment

I'm a Canon owner, but I'm not really biased. Both brands are great. There are tons of great lenses available for both.

I do think that the T1i (500D) has an overall advantage in this comparison.

T1i advantages:
          15.1 megapixels vs. 12.3
          ISO range is bigger
          Shoots 1080p HD video
          LCD screen 3" w/920,000 dots (much higher resolution) vs. 2.7" w/230,000 (screen does tilt and swivel though)

D5000 advantages:
          Exposure bracketing +/- 5 EVs in 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments (would be nice for HDR blending) vs. +/- 2 EV
          Continuous shooting 4 frames per second vs. 3.4

Comment

It's like Ford vs Chevy.
            Both Nikon and Canon make fabulous camera equipment. You can't go wrong with either brand.
            Go to a dealer and hold them both in your hands. The ergonomics will be the determining factor. Which one feels best and has the controls in the right place for your hands.

Nikon does rule though. They even had a song written about them.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I have read several reviews and so far I am leaning toward the Canon. It looks like a camera that will keep me busy learning for quite some time. And with 15.1 mp it is a huge jump from my 4mp Kodak. I don't want to knock the Nikon, I can't afford to get the D-90, (that I really wanted) and don't want to have to upgrade again for a few years.

Comment

Well I made the leap! Got the Canon Saturday and began taking pics with it on Sunday. Of course I've beeen using the Automatic setting. But I did play with the other settings. Here's a couple of Scout and our Bostons.

Comment

looking good, the rebel gets great reviews

Comment

I love my xsi, if the t1i had been out I'd have it. Is that a silver lab? He's a good looking pup

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                      Is that a silver lab? He's a good looking pup
                      Yes sir he sure is. He's smart too. Sunday he will be 12 weeks old. He already sits on command, won't stay long but he will sit. LOL!

Comment

Gotta love Canon!!! have had a few of them but nothing like that one!!!

Comment

Thanks, Now if I can ever figure out how to really use it, I may get some good pics. There is alot of real talent on this forum. If I could ever shoot like some of them I'd consider myself lucky.

Comment

Nice pics and I am jealous of the you with that dog!!! He looks awesome. One like that is on my wish list...

Comment

Working...
                            X