need help buying new camera!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help buying new camera!!!!

Ok photo guru's..need a little help looking to buy a new camera so here's the deal i have about 700 so what nikon or cannon package?? I will be taking family and wildlife pic's....also I have a old cannon 35mm slr and had some nice lens's will they work the new dslr's??
    Thanks for your help!!

I am about to do the same thing Josh. The only thing I know is that I am going to buy whichever camera I decide on (either Nikon D40 or Canon XS) with the body only so I don't spend money on the kit lenses that I hear so much negativity about. I am going to start out with a 50mm f/1.8 lense until I get the hang of the camera and then step out into the world of ZOOM. By my price figures I can get this setup on either camera for around $550.00

Comment

What Canon 35mm camera/lenses do you have. Your lenses may work with a DSLR. If so, you'll probably want to stick with Canon, not that you wouldn't anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        What Canon 35mm camera/lenses do you have. Your lenses may work with a DSLR. If so, you'll probably want to stick with Canon, not that you wouldn't anyway.
        both are sigma ones a 28-80 with macro..and yes probably sticking with canon

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
          I am about to do the same thing Josh. The only thing I know is that I am going to buy whichever camera I decide on (either Nikon D40 or Canon XS) with the body only so I don't spend money on the kit lenses that I hear so much negativity about. I am going to start out with a 50mm f/1.8 lense until I get the hang of the camera and then step out into the world of ZOOM. By my price figures I can get this setup on either camera for around $550.00
          I'm also looking, the Nikon D40 & D60 has been discontinued, but there may be stock still left on the shelves somewhere. I believe the replacements are the D3000 & D5000, they have a comparison chart on nikon's site.

Comment

Did you decide on a new camera? My wife and I have been trying to decide as well.

Comment

not yet ..was hoping to get a little more imput from this thread. I am leaning to a canon though since its the type of slr in 35mm I had and use to the settings.
              You guys planing to make another trip out to skylars?

Comment

From what I can determine, the D40/D40x has been discontinued in favor of the D3000. There's a short little evaluation on the D3000 at:

If you click on the D40 link at the bottom, it'll give his eval of that model as well. Don't go searching for one of the D40's at Amazon. Their prices are $1100 and up for some really odd reason. It's like they doubled in asking price overnight. For that kind of coin go with the D90.

I've had the D40x for about 18 months now and believe I've outgrown it. It's a GREAT platform to get started in digital, but I'm wanting more features now thanks to many on this forum and their generous replys to my never ending questions. (The D90 is on my radar screen now)

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with a D40 and the kit lens to get started. They provide great results for the price - if you do your part. Also, I'm not sure having to manually focus would be a great start into the world of digital. Just learning the camera and letting it do the work (focus) allows you to burn a LOT of frames without having to worry about manually focusing. Just something to consider.

BTW - I saw at SAMS Wholesale today the D3000 and 18-55 kit lens for $569.

Let us know what you decide!

Comment

Any input on a Cannon 40D?

Comment

They may have discontinued the D40/D40X models, but you can still ger good deals on them. I just bought a brand new D40X body for $395 and a 50mm f/1.8 lense for it a couple days ago. It should all be in today sometime! Can't wait

Comment

Originally posted by Birddogss View Post
                      not yet ..was hoping to get a little more imput from this thread. I am leaning to a canon though since its the type of slr in 35mm I had and use to the settings.
                      You guys planing to make another trip out to skylars?
                      If you plan to use all $700 on a camera body only and keep the lenses you have, then you could probably find a good used 40D in that range. Here's one: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=757415

You might even do a little better if you shop around a while.

If you want to buy a new camera, then one of the Digital Rebel models would be in that range. An XSi (450D) would be a $100 or so less than $700. An new T1i (500D) would be about $700 or maybe a little more. I have an XTi (400D), an older version.

A 40D is a little sturdier than the Rebels. The T1i sure has some cool features, being the latest model. You can't go wrong with either.

Comment

I stand corrected. The camera company just called me and the D40x was no longer available, so they are upgrading me to the D60 at no additional charge! Sweet

Comment

That ain't right

Comment

Originally posted by Birddogss View Post
                            That ain't right
                            Hopefully they will see that the D60 was discontinued as well and go ahead and upgrade me to the D90 for no additional charge!

Comment

If you have a lense from another Cannon try it with the new one before you buy. I had a good marco lense for a Cannon 35 mm that does not work with my XTi. It works with the generation before mine. A Cannon service rep stated that they changed the software.

Comment

Working...
                              X