Photo Filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm... Where'd I find SyncToy then??

Maybe I was searching freeware backup tools. I remember doing that. Man, I'm getting old.

Comment

I use the following directory structure that seems to work well for the past 10 years. Yet seeing the messgaes about keywords and some of the image counts, I'm leaning towards the keyword concept for the catalog now.

Root DIR = Data
      SubDIR = Photos
      Folders = YY XX ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      where YY = Year
      XX = next sequence event 01. 02, 03 etc
      Z's are text description of event

Makes it easy to view events by year and sequence with a description to jog the memory.

But I'm diggin' this keyword stuff....

Comment

David, I am using SyncBack, not SyncToy. Sounds pretty similar though. I guess I found it on CNET.

Comment

Sounds like a good system, M38A1. But one of the things the book I'm reading cautions against is using spaces within file names...

D-65 uses underscores in our file naming convention. Many photographers and other applications use all kinds of characters, including spaces, which are known as illegal characters in their filenames. Use of illegal characters in filenames can cause applications to substitute randomly generated characters or they may have difficulty reading the filename. Spaces are particularly notorious for causing problems between computers.
          They say that using underscores in lieu of spaces insures cross platform compatability. I guess you haven't had any problems with that so far, but thought you might want to consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
            Sounds like a good system, M38A1. But one of the things the book I'm reading cautions against is using spaces within file names...

They say that using underscores in lieu of spaces insures cross platform compatability. I guess you haven't had any problems with that so far, but thought you might want to consider it.
            Thx for the heads-up... I try to use underscores as much as possible, but I've been lazy of late. This will now force me to either bulk rename using IrfanView or start from this point forward with characters instead of spaces.

Comment

Working...
            X