Film Your Hunt: Is 4K Overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I don’t film “for phone,” but it’s good to know your audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I 100% do.

I even film vertical.

Comment

Film Your Hunt: Is 4K Overrated?

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
      I 100% do.

I even film vertical.

I didn’t realize your audience is teenage girls and dudes that wear wool beanies even in Texas summers! . But you’re Insta-famous, so I guess it makes sense!

Do you film vertical with your Canon or just with your phone scope setup?

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I just go 1080p because of my budget- most my cameras are used and newer 4k ones are pricey. I do have a gopro that can record 4k and editing it made my macbook air sound like it was going to catch on fire. So if I did have 4k film I'd need a new computer just to edi.

Comment

I know nothing of filming, but watching a TV show that recently switched to 4K makes me think something is "off".

Comment

Originally posted by dannorocks View Post
            I just go 1080p because of my budget- most my cameras are used and newer 4k ones are pricey. I do have a gopro that can record 4k and editing it made my macbook air sound like it was going to catch on fire. So if I did have 4k film I'd need a new computer just to edi.

Editing requirements for 4k is an often overlooked element when considering whether to shoot 1080 or 4k. Thanks for the feedback.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

One benefit to shooting 4K is that it allows you to crop or digitally zoom your footage if you ultimately end up exporting the video in 1080. This can be handy while filming wildlife when you may need more “zoom” or need to shoot wide to get the footage, but want the final clip to be closer in.

Also, you can add a digital slide effect for dramatic effect for dramatic effect or the “jaws” zoom in while walking back affect without loss of quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                One benefit to shooting 4K is that it allows you to crop or digitally zoom your footage if you ultimately end up exporting the video in 1080. This can be handy while filming wildlife when you may need more “zoom” or need to shoot wide to get the footage, but want the final clip to be closer in.

Also, you can add a digital slide effect for dramatic effect for dramatic effect or the “jaws” zoom in while walking back affect without loss of quality.

Good points! All of that will be covered in my follow up video (hopefully this week!)

A question might be where would that capability rank in importance compared to low light performance, zoom, high frame rate capability, articulating screen, external mic inputs, budget, etc. (also add ability to edit with existing computer equipment) for creating YouTube hunting videos?

Thanks for the feedback!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Tagging this to come back later and review. Just in the last few weeks I started converting my personal YouTube channel from a place to store videos to something a little more. I'm only working off an Android phone right now so all of this is Greek To me. I was very shocked yesterday to find out that I've had around 350,000 views on my hunting videos over the years. Too bad I didn't film them with a better camera or retain the original footage for further editing.

But one day I hope to reach the elusive 1000 subscribers and go from there.

Comment

Start looping my YouTube videos on your TV and maybe you can change the analytics!

Do you frequently watch YouTube vids on your TV? I’m curious to know how everyone here consumes YT hunting videos?

I watch YouTube 75% of the time, when I’m watching TV. I’ve watched yours on a 65” TV and the quality is there, as well as the clarity. I’m not saying that 4K isn’t needed, but I am saying that I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos and while it is noticeable, it doesn’t diminish the overall quality of the work, IMO.

But I’m also a deer junkie, so maybe it’s just me focusing on just the animals. Lol

Comment

Michael, I certainly don't have anything technical to add to this thread, but I sure do appreciate you doing this and sparking such a great discussion. I've been shooting video the past 2 seasons in 4K and have gotten some great footage of some truly magnificent animals, got a few kills on video (gun and bow), but I learned a lot from your video and the subsequent discussion especially as it relates to "slo-mo"! I don't publish any of my video, but sure do like playing with the technology... This thread has given me more incentive to produce a video story instead of "videoing hunts/shots"... I have every bow kill, every shot I've taken on an animal since 1990... Started with SVHS, then MiniDV then MiniDVHD, and now 4K... Sure has been fun and with the advent of these small Go Pros and similar cameras makes it much easier to actually record the "whole hunt" on both sides of the weapon.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Tagging this to come back later and review. Just in the last few weeks I started converting my personal YouTube channel from a place to store videos to something a little more. I'm only working off an Android phone right now so all of this is Greek To me. I was very shocked yesterday to find out that I've had around 350,000 views on my hunting videos over the years. Too bad I didn't film them with a better camera or retain the original footage for further editing.

But one day I hope to reach the elusive 1000 subscribers and go from there.
                        Good stuff, Bobby! Depending on the content of your channel, a cell phone camera might be all you ever need. If you're filming "talking head", vlogs and can control lighting, audio and distance, then you can get good results with most any camera.

If you want to incorporate hunting footage on your channel, then having a camera with better low light and zoom capabilities might become more important. In hunting situations, you really can't control lighting or distance (within certain reasonable limits) so the features I've discussed become more critical.

In either case, just keep in mind that "story" and content is typically MUCH more important than the equipment used to tell it.
                        Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                        I watch YouTube 75% of the time, when I’m watching TV. I’ve watched yours on a 65” TV and the quality is there, as well as the clarity. I’m not saying that 4K isn’t needed, but I am saying that I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos and while it is noticeable, it doesn’t diminish the overall quality of the work, IMO.

But I’m also a deer junkie, so maybe it’s just me focusing on just the animals. Lol
                        Thanks for the feedback. 4k can definitely produce better results, all else being equal, but in most cases not all is equal between 1080 and 4k recording options.
                        Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Michael, I certainly don't have anything technical to add to this thread, but I sure do appreciate you doing this and sparking such a great discussion. I've been shooting video the past 2 seasons in 4K and have gotten some great footage of some truly magnificent animals, got a few kills on video (gun and bow), but I learned a lot from your video and the subsequent discussion especially as it relates to "slo-mo"! I don't publish any of my video, but sure do like playing with the technology... This thread has given me more incentive to produce a video story instead of "videoing hunts/shots"... I have every bow kill, every shot I've taken on an animal since 1990... Started with SVHS, then MiniDV then MiniDVHD, and now 4K... Sure has been fun and with the advent of these small Go Pros and similar cameras makes it much easier to actually record the "whole hunt" on both sides of the weapon.

Thanks again!
                        Awesome! You should definitely put some footage together to tell a story! I'm sure you've got some great stories to tell! I hope you'll share (at least with me) if you do!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

I didn’t realize your audience is teenage girls and dudes that wear wool beanies even in Texas summers! . But you’re Insta-famous, so I guess it makes sense!

Do you film vertical with your Canon or just with your phone scope setup?

Canon.

Teen girls... come on. 😂

I film for the medium.

You mentioned it yourself when you talked about mobile consumption not needing 1080.

Insta and Facebook give you extra real estate for vertical. That 30% helps.

A lot.

Comment

Canon.

Teen girls... come on. 😂

I film for the medium.

You mentioned it yourself when you talked about mobile consumption not needing 1080.

Insta and Facebook give you extra real estate for vertical. That 30% helps.

A lot.
                            I had my tongue firmly planted in cheek, of course! You always have great footage and pics of your bucks. I should probably know this, but do you have a YouTube channel?
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I had my tongue firmly planted in cheek, of course! You always have great footage and pics of your bucks. I should probably know this, but do you have a YouTube channel?
                              I wish I had time. I already am taxed with time away from work guiding... add filming for social media and running it... on top of my real jobs and volunteer work...

You can imagine how much time my wife thinks I have to be editing for a YouTube channel with a young family at home.

Comment

I wish I had time. I already am taxed with time away from work guiding... add filming for social media and running it... on top of my real jobs and volunteer work...

You can imagine how much time my wife thinks I have to be editing for a YouTube channel with a young family at home.
                                I understand that. I don't think most people realize how much time is spent editing videos for YouTube, even for those that are fairly efficient at it. Most (successful) full-time YouTubers spend more time on their craft than they might at a "regular" job.
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X