Go Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go Pro?

Are they worth buying to video your bow hunts, fishing trips, dove/duck hunts? I have always enjoyed recording hunts and watching them again, but I havent done it in awhile and I want to get back into it. These things look cool, but are pricey, and im wondering if they are worth the coin? School me on them. Any/every but of info will be worth my read as I know nothing about them. Also, how easy is the footage to edit for a good short video clip? If you could point me in a good direction for some of that software also. I have never edited any video before...

One of the biggest reasons I have yet to get one is because they are really only best when looking for a "second perspective" shot.

- they don't zoom (you would be surprised to see how far away a deer looks at 20 yards looks with no zoom)

- you cant see what you're filming with out spending even more money on a screen.

Comment

Hmm, that's definitely the kind of information I need... That doesn't sound very promising at all for trying to get good video of hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
        One of the biggest reasons I have yet to get one is because they are really only best when looking for a "second perspective" shot.

- they don't zoom (you would be surprised to see how far away a deer looks at 20 yards looks with no zoom)

- you cant see what you're filming with out spending even more money on a screen.
        That is what has kept me from getting one. It's a great concept but a bit spendy for me. If I was generating income from the hobby of filming deer hunts then it would be game on.

Comment

If you have a smart phone you can make a pretty good video with it. I have an Iphone4 and use it to video my hunts. I edit the footage with a free app called Splice. Here are a couple of my videos.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DSJrmy5Vqo&feature=share&list=TLgTQEwu2Qk EM"]Lee County Doe Hunt - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T33EOu7XcZ0&feature=share&list=TL82vThj_7y eo"]Memorial Day Hog Hunt - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I have one..been testing it out at different settings and yardages mounted to my stab..ill post some stuff when I get it all finished..plus I have a 2 year old and it's great for filming our wrestle mania brawl sessions in the living room

Comment

If you get a go pro with wifi you can have it outside the blind. You dont have to mount it on your stabilizer. I have set it up 5 yds from the corn pile and have had deer lick on it. Editing isn't hard with the cineform software that works with the go pro videos. I'm not computer smart but I can do it.
              With an iPhone and the go pro app you can control your camera. You can turn it on off switch modes. You can take a pic you can start video. Also you can see what the camera is seeing.
              This video is the buck I shot this year. The camera was 10 yards or so from the buck. I recorded it on my iPhone from the computer. That's why it's not very clear.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ar3731guy; 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ar3731guy View Post
                If you get a go pro with wifi you can have it outside the blind. You dont have to mount it on your stabilizer. I have set it up 5 yds from the corn pile and have had deer lick on it. Editing isn't hard with the cineform software that works with the go pro videos. I'm not computer smart but I can do it.
                With an iPhone and the go pro app you can control your camera. You can turn it on off switch modes. You can take a pic you can start video. Also you can see what the camera is seeing.
                This video is the buck I shot this year. The camera was 10 yards or so from the buck. I recorded it on my iPhone from the computer. That's why it's not very clear.
                I was wondering how the wifi function of it worked. Thats pretty cool to do that, but not quite what im after. I hunt different sets everytime I hunt, it would be a hassle to do that. However for future reference I greatly appreciate the idea!

Comment

Originally posted by skylar1926 View Post
                  I have one..been testing it out at different settings and yardages mounted to my stab..ill post some stuff when I get it all finished..plus I have a 2 year old and it's great for filming our wrestle mania brawl sessions in the living room
                  Please do. Im very curious to see how it looks. I really thought mounting it to my shotgun would be cool as well, but if its hard to see deer at 20 yards, doves will be impossible...

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    If you have a smart phone you can make a pretty good video with it. I have an Iphone4 and use it to video my hunts. I edit the footage with a free app called Splice. Here are a couple of my videos.

Lee County Doe Hunt - YouTube

Memorial Day Hog Hunt - YouTube
                    Which video was your iphone on the deer hunt?

Comment

I think it's best application in hunting is for videos like the one below. Without zoom, etc, you have to do action or something up close.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqgx-69wzk0"]Texas Bowhunting - GoPro Camera - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                        I think it's best application in hunting is for videos like the one below. Without zoom, etc, you have to do action or something up close.

Texas Bowhunting - GoPro Camera - YouTube
                        Im diggin that Buc-ee's cap!

But really, nice deer man congrats! Nice video to. If thats what they're best for, might not be the camera for me... My hunting will be out of various blinds/stands, so having it bow mounted would be optimal. Especially when in my tripod.

Comment

I've tried bow mounted cameras and they just suffer from too much shock at the shot for you to get decent footage. The best bet is on a camera tripod if on the ground or on some articulating arm if in a tree or in a tripod close to a tree. I honestly think you'll be disappointed with footage taken from a bow mounted camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                            I've tried bow mounted cameras and they just suffer from too much shock at the shot for you to get decent footage. The best bet is on a camera tripod if on the ground or on some articulating arm if in a tree or in a tripod close to a tree. I honestly think you'll be disappointed with footage taken from a bow mounted camera.
                            Something I havent thought about, and you may very well be right about that. I incorporated an articulating arm mount for a camera in my rifle blind, but it makes a little noise and seems like would be a bit of a pain in a bow blind being that close. I may just have to try that setup in my bow blind to or stick with the tripod. Its just when in my tripod, that I dont know how I could mount it... Thanks for the tips Casey!

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                              Which video was your iphone on the deer hunt?
                              I'm not sure I understand the question? Both I those were videoed off my IPhone. On the deer hunt I had my phone clipped on to a camera arm so there was no vibration at the shot. On the hog hunt it was mounted on a bracket that I put on the riser of my bow. Yes there is some vibration at the shot but I hunt by spot and stalk and that is something I have to deal with if I still want to get it on video.

Just FYI the doe was over 30 yards when I shot her and the second pig was over 30. I like being able to zoom in and put them in slow motion if I want. Take a look at some of the videos I have on my YouTube channel. All of them are from my iPhone. You can see the different editing (music, slow motion etc) that I've done.

Comment

Working...
                              X