DSLR Video Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSLR Video Test

I decided to make this short video for those who are thinking about filming their hunts with a DSLR.

When I was trying to decide which camera and lenses I should get, there really was no info. My main questions was how the video would look after sunset, using a high ISO, and what lenses would work the best.

Equipment:
    Canon 6D
    70-200mm f/2.8
    2x teleconverter

Setup:
    Front Porch of the Ranch House
    Feeder 120 yds

*note the 6D is a full frame sensor, so if you are using a crop sensor divide mm/1.6 ex. full frame 400mm will look similar to a crop 250 (I think I got that right)

I'll do one from 20 yds if there is any intrest.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRu94aZeME"]Canon 6D Video Test - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Robby Brown; 05-12-2013, 01:19 PM.

Love the day time footage! I really need a dslr for my productions

Comment

Yeah., those DSLR shoot amazing video. The show I've been working with for the past 9 months uses a 6D for all the interviews; but still uses a video camera for b roll and kill shots because of the image stabilization.

Comment

I've been using 7D for a few years. The biggest challenge, especially self filmed, is lack of true "follow focus." Does the 6D handle auto focus well?

My primary hunting lens is Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II. For bowhunting situations, 200mm is more than enough. In fact, I typically stay in the 100-135 zoom range, so I don't use a teleconverter.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Cool

What software did you use to put it together?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I've been using 7D for a few years. The biggest challenge, especially self filmed, is lack of true "follow focus." Does the 6D handle auto focus well?

My primary hunting lens is Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II. For bowhunting situations, 200mm is more than enough. In fact, I typically stay in the 100-135 zoom range, so I don't use a teleconverter.
            The auto focus worked well even in the low light. Though, it would be completely useless if the subject was moving. I normally just manually focus. I plan on getting one of these http://www.aputure.com/blog/2012/08/...-follow-focus/ before hunting season. And maybe a field monitor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
              Cool

What software did you use to put it together?
              Final Cut Pro X

I'm testing out Premiere CS6, but so far, FCPX is still my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Robby Brown View Post
                The auto focus worked well even in the low light. Though, it would be completely useless if the subject was moving. I normally just manually focus. I plan on getting one of these http://www.aputure.com/blog/2012/08/...-follow-focus/ before hunting season. And maybe a field monitor as well.
                That just got added to my wish list, too! Thanks!
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I have a 15mm rod setup with a follow focus. I haven't had it out in the field yet but it works awesome for weddings etc. Ill post a pic

Comment

This is not auto focus but it definitely helps. I heard canon is coming out with a 70d that will have liveview autofocus...that may be the camera to get!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bowhunter004; 06-30-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

There are alot of accessories you can use with the 15mm rod setups. This is my shoulder mount
                      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome gear!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                        X