Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Help w/Choosing Video Tri-Pod and Treestand Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/Choosing Video Tri-Pod and Treestand Mount

I have the video camera pictured. I video'd my 9 & 11 yr olds 1st deer last season. I did great until their shots hit the deer, and then I couldn't contain my excitement to keep the camera still. Lesson has been learned, invest in a tripod for my video camera.

For this season I plan on taking my hunting video experience and kicking it up a notch. There are three things I believe that i need to get my hands on in the next few weeks. I am not looking to break the bank on any of them. Any links or suggestions as to which specific ones your recommend i go with would be greatly appreciated. I am a rookie video'er. I know how to video, transfer to laptop, and transfer to YouTube. I want to learn to edit, add words, add music, and splice three clips into one video. Here are the 3 things I am looking for:

1)A Tri-Pod that fits my camera and is adjustable in a pretty good height range. I want to be able to record at popup window height as well as box stand window height. I see several on eBay for $15-$25, but have no idea which one is compatible with my video camera or capable of be adjustable to the heights that I will need. Any other considerations?

2) A video camera mount that is compatible with a tripod deer stand or a lock on tree stand. Again I'm not sure if the threaded hole on a video camera is a standard size or what?

3)I think I have this one taken care of, but it's video editing software. I am really impressed with TBH'er robbyayala's video work, think I will use the same software as him. Pinnacle Studio HD U V 15. Looks like its $50-$65 on eBay new.

What say you GS Video experts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344381453.854868.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	24913858Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344381467.271053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	24913859

i would recommend you look at the Huntercam cradle http://huntercamcradle.com/new/why_choose_hc.html . i have one and it is very nice. it will clamp to your tripod or you can use a tree adapter. he also has a very good article on "how to video your hunts" on his website. for box blinds i recommend you use a window mount for a spotting scope, i use this when hunting from our turttle blinds and its nice not having the tripod legs in the blind to contend with. good luck

Comment

Thank you Lost Bucaroo. I'll check out that site from my computer when I get back home.

Comment

Anyone else have suggestions/recommendations?

Comment

Are most video camera tri-pods universal?

Will this one most likely fit mine?

Comment

For ground blinds you can use a tripod. In tree stands you can buy a Gorilla camera holder from Cabela's website. They are both easy to manipulate depending on the hunt. Get some camo tape from Academy and just tape over shiny spots on tripod and video camera. And yeah, most tripods are universal.
            Last edited by robbyayala; 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyayala View Post
              For ground blinds you can use a tripod. In tree stands you can buy a Gorilla camera holder from Cabela's website. They are both easy to manipulate depending on the hunt. Get some camo tape from Academy and just tape over shiny spots on tripod and video camera. And yeah, most tripods are universal.
              Great. Thank you

Comment

if you hunt out of trees or do like me and set your tri pods up next to a tree you can get an economical, but good camera mount from MUDDY Outdoors. it will clamp on a bow hanger or tree step> pretty sweet little item for $30.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Buckaroo View Post
                  if you hunt out of trees or do like me and set your tri pods up next to a tree you can get an economical, but good camera mount from MUDDY Outdoors. it will clamp on a bow hanger or tree step> pretty sweet little item for $30.
                  I only see 4 camera arms on their site ranging from $160 to $500. What's the one you are referring to for $30 called?

Comment

On the ground, get you a sturdy tripod but for a smooth transition after the shot you will need a decent fluid head on said tripod and you will have to contain yourself to follow the animal ... Look around on B&H photo, manfrotto makes some good fluid heads

Comment

My 1st rookie attempt last year. Lots and lots of room for improvement. Lessons learned- calm down, slow down, and buy some equipment. I could definitely use the editing software. Lots of things I'd like to edit out. What can I say, I was probably more excited than my 9 yr old step-son was- lol.

I am not really much of a crossbow fan, but using it is a good way to get my kids involved during the archery only season.

Last edited by Rambow; 08-08-2012, 07:46 AM.

Comment

have given any thought to a gorilla tripod.... it is small and compact and in apinch can wrapped around stabilizer to video your own hunt. I use one and love it.
                        http://www.google.com/search?q=goril...Kajm2gXZ1oCgBA
                        sorry about the link I couldn't paste the pic from iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by eager_hunter View Post
                          have given any thought to a gorilla tripod.... it is small and compact and in apinch can wrapped around stabilizer to video your own hunt. I use one and love it.

sorry about the link I couldn't paste the pic from iPad.
                          That looks pretty cool. Just not sure how I would use it while videoing kids or wife's shots from a popup. Do you have any videos you can post that you shot with it wrapped around your stabilizer? That'd be cool to see. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rambow View Post
                            I only see 4 camera arms on their site ranging from $160 to $500. What's the one you are referring to for $30 called?
                            click on camera arms and in the picture its the orange one on the right. its clamped to a realtree bow arm
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Lost Buckaroo; 08-08-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Buckaroo View Post
                              click on camera arms and in the picture its the orange one on the right. its clamped to a realtree bow arm
                              That's pretty nifty right there

Edit: I just read on their website where it rotates 360*. I figured at that place it was more of a fixed setup. For someone on a budget just getting into it, or for use as a secondary angle, that is a great option.
                              Last edited by down2hunt; 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X