Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Convert Analog Video to Digital Video???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert Analog Video to Digital Video???

I recently found my old analog video camera and I am wanting to edit the footage on my computer. Problem is, I have to idea how to get the footage from the analog video tapes to my computer. Anyone know how to do this???

Thanks!

Originally posted by DirtNap View Post
    I recently found my old analog video camera and I am wanting to edit the footage on my computer. Problem is, I have to idea how to get the footage from the analog video tapes to my computer. Anyone know how to do this???

Thanks!
    They make devices that do this. Basically, it's a little box interface device with RCA style jacks that connect to your VHS or analog video camera output and also USB that connects to your computer. Your analog camera should have come with a cable that lets you watch a video on your TV. You just use that cable to connect to your interface device instead. I purchased one called Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 (clickable link) that includes both the device and the software to make it easier. I used it to make the video in this thread from an old VHS tape...

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
      They make devices that do this. Basically, it's a little box interface device with RCA style jacks that connect to your VHS or analog video camera output and also USB that connects to your computer. Your analog camera should have come with a cable that lets you watch a video on your TV. You just use that cable to connect to your interface device instead. I purchased one called Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 (clickable link) that includes both the device and the software to make it easier. I used it to make the video in this thread from an old VHS tape...

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I might have to give that a try.

I am in the market for video editing software (either pinnacle or sony). If im not mistake you use pinnacle? (im a fan of your vids.) Does that software allow you to do the same thing? For instance, my video camera has a s-video out on it. I was thinking that i could buy a s-video to usb chord. Then upload the footage through the editing software. Is this even possible? Thanks!

Comment

Thanks, I might have to give that a try.

I am in the market for video editing software (either pinnacle or sony). If im not mistake you use pinnacle? (im a fan of your vids.) Does that software allow you to do the same thing? For instance, my video camera has a s-video out on it. I was thinking that i could buy a s-video to usb chord. Then upload the footage through the editing software. Is this even possible? Thanks!
        I'll try to remember to snoop around on Pinnacle when I get home and see if I can find anything for importing from analog. It seems like you would be able to, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure how efficient s-video to usb would be. You might want to check with someone well versed in computers to find out about the relative speeds of transfer for the various options that might be available to you. It only takes one constricted piece of the pipeline to really slow things down.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post

Hope this helps.
          I purchased a similar device tonight, worked perfect. It actually improved the video quality! Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Ive done this quite a bit making fly fishing videos. All the analog/digital converters work just the same, so dont go overboard with the cost!! Any good video editing software will allow you to upload video straight from the camera, or from the computer. Personally, I use Cyberlink, but Pinnacle is a good one too. Some of the converters allow you to connect to the camera via S-Video, then connect to the computer with the USB, which will give you the best possible quality for what you are using. Dont expect too much from your quality though. On your computer its fine, but after editing, shrinking and uploading.....you will always lose some picture quality. Hope this helps!!

Comment

I purchased a similar device tonight, worked perfect. It actually improved the video quality! Thanks for the tip!
              Glad you got it to work! I looked at Pinnacle last night. You can import from anything connected to your computer, but naturally it only shows you the devices that are actually connected at the time.

Comment

I went the cheap route. I just played the tapes on my hi8 video camera while recording it with my dvd recorder/player. Then load the dvd into computer.

Comment

Working...
                X