Stalking Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalking Hogs

I know this is a bowhunting sight but thought you might find the email exchange below super beneficial. Helped me out on my first hog stalk! If Randy can get within 20 yards at night that's def. bow hunting distance!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

This all started when I did my year end review video. I learned a lesson last year that many of you already know, hogs are unpredictable. When I was in the stand I would often see them and they wouldn't come in. So if they won't come to me, I'll go to them. I started emailing Randy at www.nighthogs.com to tap into his years of experience. Here are notes that I have written in my journal and hope you find it useful.

These are only exerts of our conversation but compiled to help you the reader!

Q). What are some tips you can give me about stalking hogs?
    A). [Randy] Here are a few of the things that we have observed in our experiences:
    1). keeping the wind in your favor and being quiet are key.
    2). Hogs are not as blind as many people think but their eyesight is not the best and seems to be based a lot on picking up movement, therefore going slow is impotant.
    3). Watching the hogs posture is very important, their attitude will tell you a lot about how close you can get. This will come from experience and you will learn quickly how to spot nervousness. When the head comes up, freeze until it goes back down.

Q). I notice in some of your video's you like to stalk really close to your hogs? Why?
    A). Many of our client stalks result in shots of 15-40 yards. This is part of the attraction to our hunting style. We try and get the hunters as close as we think we can without spooking the hogs.

Q). Aren't you afraid the hogs might turn and charge you at that distance?
    A). 1). When I hunt by myself, I almost never take a shot over 20 yards.
    2). And I am also aware of the "they will charge you" factor, but after killing 100's of hogs and getting very very close, we have never had a single one give any indication that it wanted to charge.
    3). I know the posssiblity is there but I have gotten to the point that I don't even think about it any more.

Q). Other Tips and Advice Stalking Close
    A). 1). Be careful and pay close attention to the way they act. Especially if they spook. Try and think of what you and they were doing just before it happened and remember that for the next stalk.
    2). Keep in mind, a single hog is much harder to sneak up on than a group.
    3). When you have a group of 2-4, they are usually the easiest.
    4). With a large sounder, there are too many eyes, ears and noses to pick you up.
    5). Most of the time the lead sow will spook first. She usually has a sixth sense about her surroundings so watch her closely.
    6). A group of young ones is typically a piece of cake to get very close to.

Q). Tell me about your equipment
    A). We have our 44 mag rifles sighted in at 50 yards and the AR is sighted at 100 yards. The primary use of the AR is for longer shots when we don't feel we can get close enough or if someone just prefers to shoot it instead of the 44 mag. Also, if we have a sounder, and the next up shooter feels he can do the job, we will let him try for a second shot after the initial close in shot with the 44 mag.

Q). Where I hunt there are woodlots separated by large open pastures. I've witnessed hogs working the wood lots and also in the open pasture. Do I stand a chance stalking up on hogs in an open pasture?

A). 1). Assuming you are stalking at night, it is no problem as long as you go slow and really watch the hogs.
    2). You may not get quite as close if the moon is bright but we stalk them in the open all the time.
    3). If it is daylight, you probably will not be able to get very close without some background cover to hide your outline.
    4). Some hogs are easier than others so give it a try and see what happens. You may be quite surprised with how close you can get.
    5). If there are any cattle around, try and use them for cover. It works very well.

Other Notes From Randy
    1). If their are two or more people in the approach, go single file so you make less of a picture for them to see and when the first person stops, all should stop.
    2). Having brush or cattle behind you is always a big help to keep you from standing out.

Thanks Randy!!!

One question. If you play the wind, are you able to wear any cloths you want? I still wear camo, but at night would it be better to wear black / darker cloths?

Comment

Good info and video! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cshall999 View Post
        One question. If you play the wind, are you able to wear any cloths you want? I still wear camo, but at night would it be better to wear black / darker cloths?
        We'll I wouldn't be walking around in fluorescent colors that's for sure... I honestly think dark or camo would work!

Comment

Just walk up to them and grab hold. Then run like hell before momma gets you. As i was running away from my feeder with a screaming biting baby hog it hit me how bad of an idea this was.

this pic was taken by my trail cam right before i grabbed her

Click image for larger version

Name:	PRMS0140.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	23972918

Comment

Wow, that is close...

Comment

you literally walked up and grabbed that thing?!

Comment

Great vid Ed, nice stalking.

Comment

Originally posted by PHfactor View Post
                  you literally walked up and grabbed that thing?!
                  yes...then got bit about 50 times while running scared back to my truck. I kept her for about 2 weeks.

Comment

Wow

Comment

Hey Ya All watch this...... hold my beer !!

Comment

Originally posted by cshall999 View Post
                        I do a lot of spot and stalk at night and used to think that black clothes would be best but one thing I came to realize is that a black object at night is much easier to see than a light brown object or camo that has a lot of lighter colors in it. For example, I can see a black pig standing in the road a heck of a lot easier than I can see a deer at night at the same distance. One of the best things you can do when stalking is keep a low profile and move slow. Crouching down or even crawling on your knee's will really help keep you from being busted. I get busted a lot less at night by shooting from my knee's then standing. I shoot a lot of pigs from 5 to 10 yards at night doing this.

Comment

+1 for Randy.. been hunting with him a few times and NEVER disapointed.. the man knows his business and puts a good dent in the hog population.

Comment

Working...
                          X