No announcement yet.

Success South West of Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome story/pics tuthdoc!! I always look forward to your threads.

Comment

Oh, he scored 158 4/8. Typical 11 with one 1 inch kicker. His 2's were 12 and 11 and his 3's were 11 and 10. My best bow buck.

Gold will probably post a story on her buck. He was over 20 iches wide and scored 125+

Comment

So how much penetration, sp, did you get? Was that a three blade rage also? once again great deer!

Comment

Congrats tuthdoc.

Awesome recap and pics...very impressive. Looks like that new bowtech and rage equals a deadly combonation.

Comment

Awesome work Doc... Great deer and great recap! I love it when you are telling the story.. You tell it in Color! Awesome

Comment

After shooting my last tag in San Angelo, and figuring I'll shoot my does over Christmas, I decided to leave for the Junco Sunday night and try and kill my 12 pt. A 10, an 11, and a 12 in one week would be a once in a lifetime thing for me, especially if they all went 150 plus. I packed up, told Cindy and Gold good by, and left when my brother and nephew pulled out. 5 hours later, I was snuggled in my bed with visions of 12 pointers dancing in my head.

Monday morning I saw quite a few bucks, including one 28 inch wide 170 that keeps following me around, but no 12. I also was being plagued by cows. They've never been a problem while hunting on the Junco, but this batch of new ones has taken it upon themselves to torture me. I can't shoot them with my paintball gun there, so I have to unzip and chase them off. I had to do it as many as 5 times per hunt. Man I hate cows. Tuesdays hunts had more of the same. I took a lot of video of nontarget bucks and chased cows. There was poop all over my shooting zones. It was like hunting in a feed lot. I couldn't use my acorn rage, because I didn't want the cows to home in on it. I was frustrated. I told myself to not worry about it because the week was already a success, but DANG, I hate cows.

Wednesday was cold. I was back in the blind. I had to leave that morning. My awesome week was almost over. I had the old 8 come in along with several smaller bucks and does. Then I saw him. Now, this is a deer that doesn't show very often. I figure I see him about every 5 days. I've seen him 5 times. My little brother has seen him twice. As far as I know, no one else knew he existed. He's not a giant, but he's heavy and a typical 12. How often do I get a chance at a typical 12.

He came in with his ears back. He really hated that 8 point. I got some video of him at 30 or so yards. He finally went to my left shooting lane. I put down the camera and got my bow. If he came in broadside under 20, he was toast. The 2 blade Rage was ready. He stood back with his ears back and finally followed the 8 off down the squiggly road. I sat an additional hour and got out. The week was over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01286.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	23861600

Name:	DSC01285.JPG
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	23861601

Name:	DSC01281.JPG
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	23861602

Name:	DSC01278.JPG
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	23861603

Name:	DSC01280.JPG
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	23861604

Comment

Oops. No it was a 2 blade. Made a giant slash in the side. Got super penetration. The point penetrated the opposite side skin and lodged in the shoulder bone. Had to cut it out. The arrow broke off when the deer started running, breaking the shaft at the inside of the shoulder. What looked like a little penetration was full body and shoulder. Went right through the heart on the way across. He went less than 70 steps. No, the Rage shot from a 55 lb bow proved up to the task.

Comment

What a week TD. Congrats on another great buck. I am still drooling!

Comment

Nice Bucks! That is definitely a week that most hunters only dream of. I feel sorry for the 12 though, there's no way he's getting away from you.

Comment

heck of a week, congrats

Comment

I don't know Justin. Those pen deer can be tough. LOL I'd give my week for your DAY. LOL

Comment

Congrats John!

Comment

Awesome deer and write up as usual Tuthdoc.

Comment

Awesome job TD. Great recap and I loved the details. I always get new ideas on how to approach my setups when I read about your hunts. Congrats again.

Comment

Outstanding job John! Awesome recap on two incredible bucks! Good luck on the 12!!

Comment

Working...
                                X