No announcement yet.

You be the guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc, If you think he's only 18 wide, then my measurements down are way over. I got width/beams from the pics head on looking like he had 3 to 4 inches of clearance beyond ears, assuming ears are 16. Then looking at the side views, the beams come out even with the nose, but someone else made a good point about him coming up and out, not really any back before out... I also gave him pretty generous mass as he carries what he has out pretty far, but maybe he just doesn't start with as good H1's as I figured (4 6/8 or so)... At 5 bills/inch bad estimating could get expensive. Sure is a pretty buck and would look great on your wall or as a pedestal... Suggest you size him up live, then THWACK!!!... waitin' on LDP's...

this is a good exercise for on the hoof "camera" judging... If he's only 18 wide, then he's mid 150's max.

Comment

Im getting @ 152" Doc. I think youl be ok with that one.

Comment

good thing i'm not a guide, i would have said we better stick with the one on the right in the first pick!
        cut back on a few Pepsi's and go for it Doc! you've earned him!!

Comment

Looking at the first pic with his head down, his ears are laid straight out, which makes them wider than normal. The right beam is just inside his ear. The left is outside a good bit. I think the right beam turning early keeps him from beinf really wide. I also think, with the exception of his left H1 that he'll be 4 or less on every mass measurement. That could change when I lay eyes on.

Mitch, I just need him to be 1/8th bigger than your monster. LOL

Comment

156-158 Doc!
            I think your safe to shoot him for a under 160" deer! lol

Comment

Hope you get him Doc, he is a great looking buck!

Comment

TD, In post #35 you mention the deer is "quartering away." Is that correct? If so, I have always said that backwards.

Comment

I'd probably get fired or owe the managing partners a lot of cash but I'm guessing 151 6/8.
                  $525
                  >E

Comment

My blind is to the left of the camera. The camera is actually mounted on the panel of the protein feeder, looking parallel to my blind. He's in the shooting hole of the window on the left, looking at the blind. From the blind, he'd be quartering away. From the camera, he's quartering to. If he feeds from that position during daylight, he could be in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      TD, In post #35 you mention the deer is "quartering away." Is that correct? If so, I have always said that backwards.
                      Never mind... doc and I posted at the same time...

Comment

I seriously got him at 158.5. I also think MB and mass will keep him out of 60.

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
                          My blind is to the left of the camera. The camera is actually mounted on the panel of the protein feeder, looking parallel to my blind. He's in the shooting hole of the window on the left, looking at the blind. From the blind, he'd be quartering away. From the camera, he's quartering to. If he feeds from that position during daylight, he could be in trouble.
                          Ok, I meant from the camera position. Thanks for clearing that up. I am glad I wasn't backwards AGAIN!!

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Never mind... doc and I posted at the same time...
                          Thanks Charlie!!

Comment

Keep in mind that the rule of thumb on cameras is that the actual deer will be a little bigger. Cameras use a fisheye type lense to cover a broader area and they tend to shrink things like mass and beams.

Look at it this way. Shoot him and if you go over the govt will bail you out!!!!

Comment

and i added the extra brows. and i do not think its 8-9 inches of extra. more like 5-6
                              I think the problem is you are not used to looking at huge, protein fed brush country deer.

These deer will have the largest ears of any whitetail you will ever see. They have huge clunky heads and it makes judging them a lot different than a hill country or west texas deer.

Comment

I have him at 157-159. Shoot him.

Comment

Working...
                                X