No announcement yet.

1 1/2 or 2 1/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the pictures I would have to say 2 1/2, but your observations say possibly otherwise. If you need someone to come shoot him in 4 years, I volunteer .

Nice pictures.

Comment

Very nice 2 1/2.

Comment

I'd like to see him standing straight up, but I'll go ahead and say - Wow, what a yearling!

Another thing to consider are the tarsal glands inside of his hocks - barely a smudge of a stain. You would think a two year old would typically show more interest in does, know that's he's a buck, and be pissing all over his hocks.

Comment

Comment

The next year photos will be really interesting...nice looking buck.

Comment

I am going to say 2 1/2. At 1 1/2 they still have that pencil neck that looks like a doe, and his is starting to fill out near the chest some, and he's starting to fill out in the head-particularly in the muzzle.

Not 3 1/2, the tarsal glands are still just little spots like they aren't really used at all. 3 1/2 and beyond they'll start to stain as they drain down the legs.

Comment

[QUOTE=TX_Kevin;455290]
                At 1 1/2 they still have that pencil neck that looks like a doe, and his is starting to fill out near the chest some...
                [QUOTE]

I was having a hard time getting past that as well. I have seen a rare few cases in the pen where a deer that I know is a yearling will develop a pretty muscled up neck.

Flip a coin - he's a dandy either way!
                Last edited by LukeDuke; 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=LukeDuke;455307][QUOTE=TX_Kevin;455290]
                  At 1 1/2 they still have that pencil neck that looks like a doe, and his is starting to fill out near the chest some...

I was having a hard time getting past that as well. I have seen a rare few cases in the pen where a deer that I know is a yearling will develop a pretty muscled up neck.

Flip a coin - he's a dandy either way!
                  You're right. Deer are like people. Some are short and some are tall.

I shot a 5 1/2 year old cull this year and his neck looked to be 3 feet in diameter, as did his chest, but he had the shortest neck I've ever seen on a deer before, and the shortest body. Even the biologist stood there scratching his head. Then he popped his mouth open and proclaimed that he was indeed 5 1/2.

Later we laid the deer next to a 4 1/2 year old stud and the 4 1/2 year old deer was a foot longer nose to tail, but half the width. Go figure.

The biologist said "some deer are more like Shaquille O'Neil, and some are more like Spud Web, while others are like John Madden." I guess that explains it...

Comment

He is going to be a HUGE deer when he is like 5.

Comment

I've got video of him this year, and I'll capture pics later. Here's a couple TC's of him this year. If he continues to grow, he's going to be a giant.

The 10 that's with him was with him last year also. When you see one, you usually see the other.
                      Last edited by tuthdoc; 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Looks 2 1/2 to me Pepsi man, er, Toothdoc!
                        It's good he's on your lease and not here in East Texas cause he's be dead.

Comment

Comment

Looks like he damaged his left side during velvet. He has a good drop and a split on the left. Also a short 5. Typical 11. He shows signs that he could drop, split, and grow a 5 on the right. He'll be fun to watch.

Comment

maybe he's a couse deer that has lost his way. Looks to be 1.5-2 to me.

Comment

Definately older than 1.5 in the first pics. Looks at least 3.5 in the last pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X