No announcement yet.

SW of Dallas to NE of Laredo.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a Carbon Venture with Safari System. I have quite a few of them. The Safari system is great as far as camo, but it doesn't hold up. For the price, military netting is better. If they sold the system for 15 bucks or so, I'd buy it, but for 40, I can throw military netting over it and it'll hold up a long time. Clint and I just cut a couple limbs and backed it into that big juniper. A couple hours later I had deer within 10 to twelve yards. Those axis are about 12 yards. The big juniper base behind the porcupine is 16 yards. I've had very good luck with these blinds as far as popping one up and hunting it the same or next day.

Comment

How long do you leave the blind out? Do you leave it out all season? When I use my dog house pop up blind, I usually only leave it out for a few weeks at a time.

Comment

I still can't believe how FAT those pigs are. Good luck killin those suckers.

Comment

It's just a matter of me getting a little more angry at them. I'm trying to do it with a bow, but they're so unpredictable about when they come in during daylight. Most nocturnal dang hogs I've ever seen, especially for probable tame hogs that escaped. I may take the Hawken and smoke pole one.

Thorson, my blinds may be out for days or weeks or the whole season. Depends on the location. In my fixed feeder sites, I usually make carpet blinds like you see in the first pics. For chum areas and for moving into areas where I have located a specific deer, I'll set it up and leave it until I either kill the deer or decide it's no longer productive. I have several areas that are just good deer spots. They're out of the way and the deer just naturally move through them. Those spots usually get a CV early in the season, usually September, and will stay out all season. I like to have quite a few blinds to give myself a lot of options. I don't have to move a blind every time I find something I want to hunt. At least, not until I get about 10 set out.

Comment

After I left Leaky, I took 83 and 44 to Encinal and the ranch NE of Laredo. The water in the creeks and rivers was unbelieveable. I didn't hold much hope in getting on the ranch when I got there. I stopped and checked the road entrance to our pastures before going to camp and they were in really good shape. I went on to the ranch, unloaded the truck, loaded the Ranger and headed out. My optimism was short lived. I just missed a giant Tstorm that passed within about 1/2 mile of the ranch gate, so that was lucky. However, the farther north I went the worse the roads got. My unloaded Ranger allowed me to zoom through some bad spots without tearing up the roads. I was able to get to 7 of the 9 cams and pull cards. Two of the cameras that I had postioned on the panels of the fence were screwed up by either cows or coons or both. Both had several hundred pics of grass as the cameras were dangling. One of my cameras that the cows had almost destroyed when it was new two years ago, had lost the bungee that held it together and was dangling by a wire. Most pics were June and early July, but there's enough showing to have some optimism for the coming year. They're going to have to be really careful to not kill 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 year old protein deer that look older. I had to walk and wade my way to two of the cameras with some spots being over my snake boots.

I called my brothers when I got back to camp and told them to forget coming down Friday. I got up early the next morning and headed home. Three ranches in one week.

Here's some pics.

I kinda thought that this first buck was Splitters because of the kickers on his 2's, but he's not nearly big enough in body or horns. May be a good buck to watch over the next couple years. He's in an area where Splitters hangs, so he could be an offspring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big 10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	24728703

This buck is big enough and has Splitter's brows, but we'll have towait and see.

Name:	Turkeys.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	24728708

This 8 should be taken out early. May be tough though. He was here last year and then roamed off to not be seen during the season. He's got a pig body.

That's one of the original Stealth cams that we bought when digitals first came out. Still takes pics, but the LCD can't be read, so disregard the date and time. I think it took 116 pics and probably didn't last more than a couple weeks with the rechargeable AA's and the panel.

Comment

Here are three deer that I pics of at the same feeder in Feb. The YHG 10 was a baby last year. He was really wide with really short brows. It's very possible that he's only 3 1/2 here. The 2A10 doesn't look like he's changed a whole lot, but he does have a month to grow. He is the oldest of the three. I don't think he's 6 1/2, but it's possible. I thought he was 5 1/2 last year, but a case could have been made for 4 1/2 with his face. The last buck is Tire Track. He was a 10 with a Bo Point and a kicker on his brow. Had a lopsided rack. He was almost shot last year, but reason prevailed. If they had approved him, I'd have gone after him, but it would have been a shame to kill him. A deer on protein can overcome a drought year. He's a 10 this year, but if you look on the end of his right beam, it looks like he may be starting a G5. He's got a drop, a kicker off each brow, and a potential kicker off his right G2. He's gained a lot in mass it looks like. I'll post last year's pics of these bucks later. Hopefully, TT gets another year. I think he's 5 1/2 this year.

Name:	easter bunny.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	23836082

93r17f.jpg

Name:	April 2008 004 (755 x 565).jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	24728710

Name:	April 2008 003 (755 x 565).jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	24728711

Name:	April 2008 010 (572 x 428).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	24728712

Name:	April 2008 013 (572 x 428).jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	24728713

Name:	April 2008 015 (572 x 428).jpg
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	24728714

Name:	NERO 1 (480 x 360).jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	24728715

Comment

Really great pics, Doc, and I really appreciate your commentary about the deer as they develop. This is the first year we've fed protien at our place near Sabinal, and we're getting some good pics around the feeders as the deer develop (see Scotty's thread about Sabinal Pics). Your narrative is really going a long way toward providing a frame of reference, and giving us some tips on what to watch as they grow. Congrats on the oinker as well.

Stu
                Last edited by Cottonfish; 07-30-2007, 07:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Cottonfish, I'm just long winded. LOL

Comment

You got that right,Tuthdoc!

But we love you anyway....

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

Comment

hmmmmmmm

Yes You are maybe thats why I never talk much

Comment

Nice pics doc, although I think I have that big STx ranch beat so far this year!

Just curious, how long will the South Texas bucks continue to grow? I think our North Texas bucks will be done in another couple of weeks. I assume the ones down there will continue to grow a little while longer?

Comment

I think you're right, Grayson. LOL

August is a big month for growth. I can't recall seeing much change in most of the deer in September, but August will see some big changes in some of the deer, at least for the first 2 or 3 weeks.

Comment

Great pix!
                            Its been slow for big buck pics right now and I'm sure its because of all the browse.I haven't seen any new deer in several weeks but I think once they go hard horned that will change.I wish you would call me when your down so we can meet or go eat a bite someday!I was on top of the reservoirs last week doing my daily inspection for removal of dead floating animals and I could see you driving around over there!LOL
                            I think we kinda got off on the wrong foot with the irrigation deal and I hope theres no hard feelings,I love hunting and would like to swap stories in camp with ya one day.Keep the pics coming and I will to but for some reason right now its slowed down the last few days.
                            Remember you have a friend just across the river if you need help with anything,I know how it can be sometimes by yourself with lots to do.I also still have an invitation open for you to take a ride on our Christoval lease when your not busy or if you need to put an arrow through a doe I can manage that also!LOL
                            Take care!
                            Jeremy

Comment

Awesome pics

Comment

Didn't know we had pigs running around out here.
                                I like the wishful thinking gobbler,You cant blame him for wanting the mating season to be just a bit longer than what it is.LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X